bumpers

alleycat

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1976 620 I bought brand new in 1976 (coincidence?) had no rear bumper. The Dealer did offer to sell me a choice of two different ones, along with a wide range of other options for the truck. Mirrors, mud flaps, seat covers, and maybe three other items that would set my Datsun apart from the rest. I got the bigger mirrors, and made my own trailer hitch/bumper. As I remember, both bumper choices were after market items, as were most of the options.

If I remember correctly, these trucks used to be imported without the bed on them. That way, I believe they could be imported as "automobile parts to be assembled in the USA" and import duties were less on them. And yes there were several options dealers had with them also. The local Datsun dealer even sold "Dump Datsuns"

It may also be possible a dealer only ordered a percentage of 620 trucks with bumperettes, knowing that there would be many people wanting a "heavy duty" bumper.