D21 tail light dimming.

HRH

So my roommate Buddy was following me in his Jeep the other day (because it had to follow a Datsun, couldn't lead :) ) and he's like what's with the super bright left tail and the dim right tail?

I hadn't noticed it yet, but sure enough, just like the lights on the 510, so I started thinking about the ground issue as posted in another thread and on my website. What I found kinda surprised me. The tail light bulbs on the D21 are 1157s, with dual contacts. Instead of being two round convex contacts, they were both concave (melted) however there wasn't any burning, just an impression of the convex contacts on the tail light socket side. The tail light socket itself was just fine, no burns, etc.

Anyway, if you happen to notice that in your hardbody, I'd probably change the bulbs. I just changed them both out and now they're the same correct brightness.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a issue with mine too. The contacts sucked so sometimes I'd get the fast blinker of doom telling me one light was out then the nest turn it was back on. Sometimes when using both my amp meter would dip quite a bit as they blinked. Again it was a contact problem.

You really have to love a d21 to own it, it just loves attention.

You know, it's funny, I never had any problems with my previous D21s, though they were both the last of them. One a '96, the other a '97. And the '93 gets a little slack since it does have a 141k on the clock and it was owned by stupid people before me. Still wish I got better mileage though. Half thinking about an SR20 turbo replacement or for complete daydreaming, a twin turbo VG setup.

And yesterday, I thought of the best yet. Titan V8 with Dana 60s front and rear and some 44 inch boggers. :D Way more time and money than I'm likely to have unless I hit it big. If I do, I'm going to build that last combination, enter it in a car show, and get it insanely muddy right before. :) Hehe.

Maybe they got more refined, well prob. Most of my experience with them is tot he older models, mostly 1st gen. Guess I should take mileage into account too, I'm fast approaching 250k lol. I guess little glitches like that are to be expected.

You seem to be partial to I4's in the d21, Idk I think v6 fits the truck nicely. It's that with the v6 I have fallen short or had it pushed to it's limit so many times I think with the I4 I'd just be screwed. vg30ett/dett sounds good though, I still plan to go vg33er with a different body :-X. There is a guy on hbz I think his sn is 1fastkingcab that was doing a vg30dett. Thats pretty crazy. I personally like supercharging better for the app because mine is always going to be a workhorse, need that low tq! lol

I love the v8 in the titan. It's like a dohc lsx. He must have a good job to rock a rig like that.