bad luck

J.C_620

well if it wasnt from bad luck i wouldnt have any luck at all. my luck is so bad that if i fell into a pit full of tits i would come out sucking a dick!

it all started about two weeks or so ago when i started working on beaner.

first i was on my way to vist my probation officer it was raining and i was running a late and the alternator belt decided it didnt wanna run my alternator or water pump. so after leaving the probation office i had to stop at the parts store and do an emergency repair in the cold dark rain useing the parts stores tools. that made me late getting home for my 6:00 curfew by about 30 mins luckly i didnt get in trouble

second, i was driving around in town about 20 miles from home and all or a sudden the truck starts sounding ruff. it is loud as can be so i ease it through town so i wouldnt get pulled by a cop. i head home and cant get on it because the pipe broke at the manifold. this is the early L18 non smog 2 into 1 manifold. i wait a few days and i crawl my lazy self under the truck and chicken shit mig weld it back together. all is good

third.i drove my truck for 2 days to work and back after half way repairing the exhaust. it was running very well so the second day i drove it i got to work, shut it off, jumped out checked the oil and antifreeze and then started it back up. it run and idled perfectly so 8 hours goes by. i get off work, crank it up and it wont idle, is skipping, missing and running like crap. i limp it home and pull the valve cover to find a lash pad lying under the cam. not under the rocker arm and on top of the spring. i am lazy so i wait a few days before i decided to reinstall the lash pad and adjust my valve lash. i know it needed it because i have been hearing the chatter for a while. i adjust everything, crank it up and its still skipping. i drive it to work the next day and the boss and i spend about an hour readjusting the lash and trying to stop the skip untill we do a compression check. we got30lbs

i drove it home and pulled the head off. i found a bent valve the same one the lash pad came off.valve hit piston left a nasty scar on the piston

i bought this engine a few years ago and have done nothing but beat on it. its been pretty stout. the man that built is said it had been worked over and had a cam but couldnt remember what all had been done. he built it back in the late 80's and it had been sitting in his shop since the early ninteys. the man he built it for wrecked it and it had cut off his leg. so upon tearing it down i found out that it was an A87 open chambered head with stock valves and the tiny stock ports. it has a racer brown cam but not sure or the specs just says racer brown on the back with a some numbers but it idles smooth the pistons are dished but have 10mm stamped into the tops.

i drug out my A87 closed chamber that has been ported and polished and my hogged out L18 intake. i installed the racer brown cam in this head after removing my comp cams camshaft. i kept all lash pads and rocker arms in there respective locations and bolted it all back together. i drove it back to work the next morning.

after i drove it a few days i decided i needed to get the exhaust repaired, so thursday i carried it to the exhaust shop. on my way the old exhaust breaks again. i get my truck back friday after a few feet of snow has fell. so not a good chance to hear the new pipes. i wait till today and i take it out to hear the pipes making more banging and vibrations than exhaust noise

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man sorry to hear about your bad luck .

thanks man its all good now runs like a champ now it just got jealouse because i was throwing money at beaner and not doing nothing but running it hard so she said she wanted some attention the head swap only took 4 1/2 hours and i could have done it faster but i changed cams and i was sipping on a few adult beverages. the head swap only costed me a gallon of antifreeze because i didnt like the color of what i drained out i used a head gasket set that i got off ebay several months ago for like $15 with shipping my wife adjusted the valve lash for me and got it spot on it dont have any valve chatter now the belt was like $15 the new exhaust was were the money was at $200 for pipe and labor to bend it $30 for the muffler and i think i gave my buddie $20 for making that down pipe 2 years ago and the manifold to pipe gasket was free because my boss has many of these laying around the shop