1978 510 steering box

I am searching for a replacement steering box for my '78 510 wagon. I just need something that works. Mine is pretty busted up and I have a huge dead spot in the centre of my steering which makes all driving hella hazardous. With winter setting in (I'm in Canada) I need to fix this A.S.A.P.

Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any wear in the rest of the steering components will show up in unwanted 'play' in the steering wheel. Any wear! Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth through the 'play' area and get under and watch to see what moves and what doesn't. The tires won't but the steering cross rod may have to move quite a bit to take up the slack before it begins to move them. Things to check are the tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm ball joints. Even the smallest amount of slack will be multiplied by the steering box ratio. For example the 521/620 has a ratio of 19 to 1 so just 1/4" a combined wear of all the steering components will translate to almost 5" of steering wheel slop!!! Replace the worn parts and it will be 19 times better.

Now the steering box:

Raise the front tires off the ground. There is an adjustment for gear lash on the steering box. Looks like a screw head with a slot in it with a lock nut below it to hold the adjustment. Back off the lock nut while holding the screw in position. Turn the screw in say 1/4 turn or 1/2 or whatever but keep track. Now turn the steering wheel from lock to lock carefully looking for ANY tight spots. If any tight spots are felt back the adjustment off and try again, if none continue tightening. When you have the lash just so you can feel a very slight snugness anywhere in the turning range, back off1/8 to 1/6 of a turn and tighten the lock nut. Re test that there is no tight spots from lock to lock. Check thar lock nut is tight.

I have tightened the screw on top of my steering box as much as I was physically able to with no change in the play at the wheel. I had someone rotate the steering wheel back and forth while I looked for movement under the hood and saw nothing at all.

Thank you for the reply, I have a new option on my hands at the moment.

A friend with a '77 280z in pieces says I can have whatever I can use.

So now I am researching engine and tranny swaps as well as anything else that I can grab from the Z car for mine. I have a real love affair with hot rod wagons.

Cheers

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Have you tried wades auto wrecking(Victoria is where you are from right?)

They used to keep alot of older stuff there,Not sure if they still do have not been there in a few years,worth a try

They are out past western speedway

• 1 month later...

Oh Yea, another victim! :cool:

And dont go tellin everyone that Im givin shit away and fixin cars for free! :angry: Next thing youll tell everyone that I had you transport a free Dash into Canada for some other guy (Nice140Y)

Damn Canadians! ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.