???need some advice???

cbattey224

hey guys as ive posted in the last couple days. im in need for a motor for the 510. mines an auto with an L16.

i just talked to a guy that builds datsun motors. he has a rebuilt L20B with a A87 Peanut head for $1200.00 and it i did this im still in need of a carb headers and manual trans. would this be worth it to do? is there any trans i can get that will bolt in with out having to have a driveshaft made. not in the budget. any advice would help out im new to the datsun seen

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The intake and exhaust from your L16 will bolt to the new L20B A-87 head. You don't need a header, the L16 manifold is more than good enough. You could use you L16 carb but will need larger L20B jets or better get an L20B carb or Weber and adapter.

What's wrong with the trans? All you need is the automatic flex plate from another L20B or 280z / zx car and it should bolt up to the stock automatic.

idk thought manual would put out more power and be faster?? would the auto driveshaft work for a manual trans?? headers wouldnt be more power?? the intake ports arent smaller. im not too good about this stuff trying to learn all i can thanks p.s how much is that plate??

The manual doesn't make more power but it doesn't waste as much as the auto.

If the transmissions, (auto to manual) are the same length then the auto driveshaft can be used.

A header only gains a small amount IF the stock exhaust is crap to begin with. The L16/18 exhaust is almost perfect for a stock exhaust. No improvement will be noticed unless the engine is heavily built up and revved to the extreme.

The L16 intake will work on an L20B and at least get you going. Yes the L16 will have smaller runner diameter and will be fine to 4,000 to 5,000 RPMs or more. Just keep your eyes open for an L20B intake from a '78-'80 motor and swap it later.

The drive or flex plate I don't know. But first you need to know what auto tranny you have. Early 510s used a couple of different B/W (Borg Warner) 35s. After 04 '71 Nissan made and used the 3N71B exclusively. If you have a 3N71B then all you need is a 6 bolt flex plate from an L20B 3N71B (for your new L20B motor) and it should bolt to the auto you have. Lots easier. Got a picture of your automatic?

ill get a pic right now. the guy said i needed a clutch and the plate. huh my buddy has a dogleg manual im getting sat. i just need to kno what all im going to need to put that trans in if its cheap ima put that trans in when i get the motor if not ima use the auto. but im leaking oil and can smell it i think it might be that auto trans idk yet i need to find out. anything helps guys ill kno all about datsuns soon. still learning. thanks guys its a 71 4dr 510

Yes, the dogleg is the same length as the 510 auto so same driveshaft. You will need the peddle assy, clutch master and slave cylinders plus a hard line between them, an engine flywheel (5 bolt if using an L16/18 and 6 bolt if L20B), pilot bushing, clutch assy to match your choice of flywheel, new release bearing and release bearing housing to match your clutch choice. But there's more... you will have to do some fabrication work. Nothing 'drops right in' so expect problems.

Auto tranny, check the fluid. Is it red? If so is the leak red? If not a match Then it's unlikely the tranny is leaking.

If black, pressure wash the motor and drive it. Watch for fresh oil wetness around the valve cover, fuel pump base, behind the front crankshaft pulley. These are easy to fix. A leak at the timing chain cover and oil pan are more work. An oil leak is not worth spending $1,200 for a new motor if it runs strong.

510 automatic for $20 ...http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?18093-datsun-parts!

Edited by datzenmike

Its easy to swap in a manual tranny. Either the short shaft 4 speed or dogleg 5 will bolt in with no mods other than cutting a hole for the shifter. All the mounting places for the master and slave cylinders are ready to go. If its a borg warner 3 speed column shift auto the later 6 hole flexplate it will not work if you wanted to dump an L20b on the auto tranny. The bolt spacing to the torque converter are different. I threw the BW away after i swapped in a dogleg.

I don't know if this is a problem common with all dogleg 5-speeds, but when I got mine, I had to replace the clutch assembly, because the stock L16/18/20 pressure plate was too tall. I'll explain.

What happened was I got the transmission into the car(still having the stock clutch), and went to take the care for a drive. Acted like it had no power, but the engine would rev. I ended up with a clutch that was perpetually half engaged. Turns out the throwout bearing was butted up against the diaphragm spring of the clutch, and couldn't back off(due to the pressure plate height). I yarded the tranny back out, and went and got a 79 200sx clutch, which had a considerably shorter pressure plate, which worked perfectly.

Like I said, I'm not sure if different doglegs had different variations(I think there's atleast 2 dogleg versions), but beware that this is a possible hang-up you might have if you use the L16/18/20 clutch+pressure plate.

Edited by MicroMachinery