720 pickup sd22

danburger

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative, the diesel starter is on the driver's side and the bolt pattern is different than the KA or VG motors anyway.

You could swap the diesel 5spd in with the motor but the drive shaft will need lengthening. With some small work the front tranny case from the diesel 5spd. could be swapped onto the Hardbody 5spd. and then the drive shaft would not need mods. Any way you slice it you WILL need the front part if not all of the diesel tranny. The Hardbody 5spd is better anyway.

Dan fill out you profile with a rough location and ... pictures?

He doesn't say but either way there were no diesel 4x4s for pan parts so everything custom.

yea... what i meant was "if" his HB truck is a 4x4 the SD oil pan will need to be modified.... if his hardbody is a 2wd the oilpan from the SD will clear

Must add that some countries had 4x4 sd trucks..... he might be from nigeria or something.... who knows?

LD28 wouldn't fit- 2 cylinders too long.

An any case, none of the diesel swaps would be legal. Engine would have to be 1997 or newer Federal-emissions compliant, assuming of course if he's in the US. Can't tell with no profile, though by calling it a Hardbody that kind of assumes US/Canada.

yeah the ld28 would not fit unless the truck was radically modified. The 720 never came with an ld28.

Datsunaholic.. you made a good point that no matter what a swap to an early diesel is not EPA compliant.. No point in doing all that work for almost no gain and then have to worry about the feds taking it off the road for you.

• 5 weeks later...

If you must have diesel, look at the acme adapters setups.

http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php

VW TDI engine + Toyota 22R style transmission. I would like this setup in a 510 wagon maybe get 70mpg hwy with it. 50mpg highway with the truck should not be out of reach.

The newest version of the engine makes close to 140hp and over 200lb/ft torque. Thats really nice power and your going to be putting into something lighter than it was made to move.

Most likely you will import an Audi front clip from the EU to get the right brackets they make more power there anyway. I have herd the front clips go for around 3k but that was back when gas was around/over $4 a gallon.

My wife has the 2006 jetta tdi with 100hp 170lb/ft 1.9l in it and it moves. The car is around 3500lbs. The turbo diesel's torque curve is way different than a gas engine's. All the torque is there at 2k and revving past 3k is useless but can be done. Red line on the gage is at 5 I think, but the forums say 5200 or 5500 is the limiter. Iff i were doing the swap I would look for the 2004 non PD engine. The newer ones use special oil thats expensive and hard to find. This is a dyno sheet of a modded 2006 tdi http://www.jettagirlracing.com/Dyn/Dyno_PD-150s_ST-3B_AlligatorTune.htm I have no idea how they get it hookup when lunching with FWD. I have gotten over 50mpg on long trips with the jetta the sticker is rated at 45mpg for it. The newer clean diesel 2.0L is rated at 41mpg.

There is also the newer ZD series of Nissan diesel engines but they still use dated technology nothing like the VW TDI's of even 10 years ago. Or try and fit the GM v8 diesel in there. Its the smallest of the domestics and fits anywhere a Chevy small block does and can build crazy torque when tuned.

-Dime