Need your opinion!

what

I have a 521 pickup with a good running L16. I have the chance to purchase a low mile/rebuilt roadster R16 motor with the dual sus and the 4 speed to match. Is this swap worth it? It also comes with the correct motor mounts ect. Should i or should i not?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt finish my posting. He has the rebuilt R16 motor or a U20 roadster motor and 5 speed That has 98,000 miles on it for $200.00 more dollars over the R16. Which one would you pick? Or would you stick with the L-Series?

i personally would go with the r16 just because its rebuilt and has the mounts and the tranny/ but on the other side the u20 has low miles and a 5 SPEED tough call

I have a 521 pickup with a good running L16.

If the L16 was tired I'd say go for it.

The Roadster mount's would likely not match the 521's frame so at the least some fabbing needed there and also the tranny mount. The tranny length may be the same length as the 521 so maybe the stock drive shaft is fine. I think the Roadster tranny has flange output, same as the 521 so this may be a plus. But that's about it. Certainly not impossible to do. The U-20 is rated at 150 hp SAE. so 120- 125 real RWHP. (not bad) I don't know the 1600 hp but in theory 80% less size so again 100 RWHP?

Here's a U20 motor and tranny:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transcloseratiocompetition5spdLseri.jpg[/img]"]transcloseratiocompetition5spdLseri.jpg

The 5spd is 31.5" long if that helps. Don't know but likely the 4spd is same length. Likely.

Edited by datzenmike

When I was a kid my Dad took me to a car show, there was a 521 PU in the show with a U20 roadster engine and 5 SP.

I've always thought it was cool.

if this is just a toy I'd say put the U20 and 5 sp. in. for the cool factor

for a DD, you could build a better, cheaper, more HP L motor that will drop in.