To you KA 510ers..

MicroMachinery

I'm browsing for turbos right now, tryin' to figure out which setup is gonna be the best for me. I've been recommended going with a T03/T04 setup. That's pretty vague, but really right now, I'm looking for which manifold I'm gonna have to use: bottom mount or top mount.. style, brand, custom? etc..

The initial question I have is for pretty much anybody with a KA in their 510, or atleast knows a thing or two about this setup. I need to know how much space I have between the engine and strut tower. I haven't been around an awful lot of these, so the times I have seen them, I was too busy at the time going ga-ga over it, not really having any ambitions to have one of my own. I'm pretty nervous about getting something that is going to bump into something else on the driver's side, be it the strut tower, steering box, brake master cylinder, etc...

Anybody have any words of wisdom? I can't really mock mine up right now.. it's all taken apart and the measurements wouldn't be precise prior to flipping the crossmember, and installing the mounts, methinks. Oh, by the way, I'm planning to use stock 620 mounts in my setup(I'm sure that makes a difference).

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

first you dont have any room, you have to get a top mount flange that has turbo mounted froward and at an angle, if you can imagine that. they say a log style manifold with a bottom mount turbo will work but i cant see how. as far a turbos go, how much work are you going to do to the engine. if you are going to leave it stock i personally would go with a t28 it has a good balance for a stock KA. there is a lot of information and setups on ka-t.org every question can be answered there as far as KA turbos go..

My goals are pretty much to have a 220-260hp 510. No more, for now. I'm sure that I'll have to upgrade the injectors and maf. Also have the ecu tuned. I've actually said all this on a different thread here, and this is just repetition. I don't know if I should upgrade the internals to forged pistons and rods, but if I go that route, along w/ everything else, I find it'd be cheaper to just go SR. I don't really want to go that route, but if it's less expensive, that's actually the reason I was leaning towards a KA in the first place.

for that hp goal and most kade's in gen a t3/04 is over kill. A well trimmed t28 will easily make that hp and still be in it's max efficiency range plus the better form factor and better spool rate. It also leaves you stock options, like ganking one off an s15 from someone upgrading.

Also with a proper tune you can do 220-260 on stock fresh internals, I say fresh because you should at least upgrade/replace your rings and what not to ones better suited. Towards 260hp your really going to be pushing it.

Edited by 72240z
... you should at least upgrade/replace your rings and what not to ones better suited. Towards 260hp your really going to be pushing it.

What do you mean? Are OEM rings not going to be ideal for this? I've sourced some NPR rings, but are those not going to cut it? I have a friend that works at Techtonics Tuning, and he suggested possibly finding some Mahle rings for a BMW or something like that, and finding a similar size to my 89mm KA piston.. I dunno if that's overkill. Those guys are all about building 700+ VWs, and they have deep pockets to do so.

I would go with something like total seal rings, which same may say is over kill. Its also one of the weakest areas of boosted motor though and THEE weakest of that motor so....

NPR steel rings are very high quaility, I would recommend using them in a forced induction engine before using the cast/moly Total Seal rings. As for the turbo a T28 (depending on the T28) should spool right past idle and give good low end torque , a stock CT26 from a 3rd Gen. Supra is a T4/T4 and on a 2.4 l 4cyl would give better mid range and be capable of making up to 325 rwh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110373534567&viewitem=

NPR steel rings are very high quaility, I would recommend using them in a forced induction engine before using the cast/moly Total Seal rings. As for the turbo a T28 (depending on the T28) should spool right past idle and give good low end torque , a stock CT26 from a 3rd Gen. Supra is a T4/T4 and on a 2.4 l 4cyl would give better mid range and be capable of making up to 325 rwh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110373534567&viewitem=

What would you say a T28 is good to.. I'm leaning more towards the GT2860RS off of an S15 SR motor.. if you have that info handy. I believe they said it would be good to about 320, which I believe is past what I think I'll be happy with.

A GT2860RS will be good for like 280hp max before it's well out of it's efficiency range. It's a good fit for your app thats why I suggested it :-). There are others though...... Like you don't NEED the gt28 a t28 is much cheaper just takes a fraction longer to spool since its thrust bearing instead of bb. At that size though on a 2.4l I really think it's negligible.

NPR rings are good no doubt but total seals are much better, all be it more expensive. Their TNT line is designed for nitro/forced induction high cylinder pressure stress conditions.

Edited by 72240z

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get forged pistons this time around, and hold off on the turbo for a little while. If I buy the pistons from a retailer, they come with rings. Do you suppose the rings that come with the pistons will be fine? I'm assuming so, since they were designed to work with the forged pistons.

Also, I read that you recommended Total Seal rings, so I went and did a little reading on them. From what I've read, there's pretty mixed reviews on if they're good or not; people having issues w/ them sealing and what-not. What's your experience with them?

I just had a set of Total Seal rings wear the cylinder walls in my recently built 3 liter L series stroker, the engine builder and machine shop owner recommended not using them due to problems with sealing and premature wear to the cylinders. Before any comments are raised about properly assembling the engine the specs from Total Seal were used and the bottom end was put together by same engine builder who built my previous 3 liter. My previous 3 liter lasted over 200 hard drag runs with NPR steel rings and JE pistons , the motor made over 500rwh. I will never use Total Seals again.

The right T28 (disco potato) would work just fine on a streetable 2.4L, a turbo setup for a 2 liter will spool quicker on a larger engine due to the larger amount of exhaust gas energy expelled. It's very much like choosing the proper camshaft, it depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860RS_739548_1.htm

Interesting.

I plan to DD the car. Maybe once or twice a year auto-x it. Perhaps take it to PIR a few times. Other than that, it's gonna be(hopefully), my reliable, drive around and have fun car.

Not used for competition, not hauled around on a trailer. Just my turn-key, get in and drive to California car.

I respect 510six's opinion, he had a bad experience who knows why.

I on the other hand had good, used their rings on my n/a z32 and my tt z32 but with excellent results. The n/a was maybe 220hp/tq to the wheels the tt was 450-475 flywheel. The n/a was stolen so I only got to run it a couple months. The TT motor was sold and beat on by some kid then sold and beat on by the next kid. I build the entire motor besides the head work and its got like 80k miles on it with those rings. One of the reasons I hold them in high regard.