Couple LZ questions

Dimerforlife13

Is there a way to tell between an early and a late z22? I wanted to identify my z22 before I start making any real plans.

I have a A87 closed chamber head that I wanted to use for an LZ. My plan is using the z22 crank/rods, z24 piston w/ 15cc dish. I'm not sure if my math is right, but I worked out the C/R to be around 9.5

Can anyone tell me if this configuration will work? Also, what would be a streetable cam to run with some 40 mikunis? I also have a set of 45 dcoe's. They need a couple parts though, thats why I was planning on using the mikunis, and I figured they might be a little better for the street.

Tranny wise, for the LZ do you use L16 mounts and an l-series tranny?

Any help would b greatly appreciated, I'm all ears.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to tell between an early and a late z22? I wanted to identify my z22 before I start making any real plans.

I have a A87 closed chamber head that I wanted to use for an LZ. My plan is using the z22 crank/rods, z24 piston w/ 15cc dish. I'm not sure if my math is right, but I worked out the C/R to be around 9.5

Can anyone tell me if this configuration will work? Also, what would be a streetable cam to run with some 40 mikunis? I also have a set of 45 dcoe's. They need a couple parts though, thats why I was planning on using the mikunis, and I figured they might be a little better for the street.

Tranny wise, for the LZ do you use L16 mounts and an l-series tranny?

Any help would b greatly appreciated, I'm all ears.

Won't matter much as you are only using the block and crank anyway.

Overbore the Z22 block to match the 89mm Z24 pistons on L20B rods. Yes Z22S and 'early' Z22E are the same but who knows where to find them. You need an L20B for the oil pan and timing gear and cover anyway so just use the rods from it. Done.

I think your compression is a bit high. Don't forget the Z24 piston is about 1.5mm less tall than the Z22 piston so that means it does not reach the top of the bore. This negative deck height plus the gasket thickness has to be added to the pea nut chamber volume and this lowers your compression. I get 8.82 to one. Substituting KA pistons with less than a 3cc dish will raise it up to 10.39 with the pea nut head.

Use the L16 oil pan to clear the 510 front end and L16 mounts. You can use the stock 510 tranny but it won't survive the LZ22 power for long. Which brings up the clutch and flywheel. The L20B and Z22 use a 6 bolt flywheel so your 5 bolt 200mm L16 flywheel ain't gonna fit. If the parts L20B you find is from a car it will have a 6 bolt 200mm flywheel, but if from a truck it will be 225mm. So if you have to find a clutch measure what you got.

Tranny.... As stated the stock F4W63 won't out last the LZ motor so you can run it, but be on the look out for a 620 F4W71B 4 spd or better, an FS5W71B 5spd. The 5spd was introduced in '77 to the 620 truck and the 280z car. It is about 5-6" longer than the stock 510 4spd so the driveshaft will need shortening and the mount modded. Another option is a '77-'79 200sx dogleg 5spd. No drive shaft shortening but the dogleg isn't easy to find and it's not as strong as the FS5W71B, still a good tranny.

Edited by datzenmike