scored a motor and trans today :)

84TAVeRT

it is an L18 with A87 head, AC compressor, stock hitachi carb, new starter, and fanless water pump...

the trans appears to be a long tail 4spd...

it looks like this one

Datsun%20%20%2021%20%204%20speed%20trans.jpg

i got the motor and trans for $160... which is pretty good for oklahoma...

now all i need is a shifter, pivot pin, and short front drive shaft to be able to use this in my brother's 73... then we need a clutch pedal pivot bolt and the plastic bushings that go into the pedal itself...

if you have any of the parts we need pm me...

but hey, we can make some progress now maybe :)

later,

Chris

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i can hope... i was thinkin it currently has a short tail... and that this is a longtail...

If built after Oct. '73 your tranny in it should look exactly like that one. Up to Sept. '73 they should be a long F4W63L same length, I think.

Either way can you post a picture of your '73 tranny, if different than the picture you posted earlier?

mike

my 73 has one like this (i believe it is the short one)

Transmissions_4-speed-1-thumb.jpg

i know it has the square pan on the bottom... and the driveshaft has the long front shaft...

i had a 3spd auto in it at one point and it used the short front driveshaft...

thanks,

Chris

Crap my info has a hole in it. The bottom tranny is from a 510 and is about 26" the top is from a 610/710 and is 'about' 31.5"

I thought the earliest 620 had the same driveshaft until the long wheelbase trucks came out in '75.

Edited by datzenmike

i think the one in it now is the stock one...

the engine was still the stock l16 when i got it back in 1993...

we put in a l20b and auto, but the auto didn't like the 4.97 gear ratio very much... and the speedometer was way off...

i will try to take some pics when we pull the trans back out...

later,

Chris

Yeah, Mike, your info has a hole in it.

The '72-73 620 Manual Transmission used the same transmission as the 510: F4W63, SHORT tail. I've pulled enough '73s apart to know that they ALL came with the short tranny, hence the different floorplate. The F4W63L wasn't used until around '76, and never in a US/Canada truck (dunno about J-series later year trucks). The difference between the 2 is the mounting location and the speedo cog, which is on the opposite side. The case looks somewhat different but both have the square bottom pan.

The '74 trucks used the F4W71B, longtail. However some early '74 models used the F4W63 as you said. I've never seen a stock shorttail '74 though Bleach has. My '74 has a shorttail dogleg in it, but I scrapped a '74 with a longtail 71B 4-speed that was original.