head bolt retorque

sdsurf

I have noticed that it appears that there is water leaking from the head gasket down the block. When I assembled the engine I did not do the "re-torque" after driving it. The engine has abotu 150 miles on it. SHould I retorque? Both the head and the block were machined so I know they are true.

EDIT: I just read this forum post http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=14326&highlight=retorque+head+bolts and it appears my head is weeping

Edited by sdsurf
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that it appears that there is water leaking from the head gasket down the block. When I assembled the engine I did not do the "re-torque" after driving it. The engine has abotu 150 miles on it. SHould I retorque? Both the head and the block were machined so I know they are true.

wont hurt anything to give it a try

Check under the intake. Some have coolant running under and along the runners. If the intake/exhaust bolts are loose it will leak.

Note the hole between and under the ports.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/wreckingyard2608052.jpg[/img]"]wreckingyard2608052.jpg

Also check the thermostat housing for leakage.

Motor cold, break each head bolt loose and re-torque to 60lb (L20B) If you do this one at a time you can do them in any order you like.

Edited by datzenmike

Ok! I thought I was crazy because I thought they were coming from the intake manifold, I guess I am not. I have one stripped manifold bolt I need to helicoil so that should do the trick. I am going to retorque the head bolts as well to be safe.

Might this also contribute to the truck seemingly running hot?

Mike you da man!!

Thanks

Check under the intake. Some have coolant running under and along the runners. If the intake/exhaust bolts are loose it will leak.

Note the hole between and under the ports.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/wreckingyard2608052.jpg[/img]"]wreckingyard2608052.jpg

Also check the thermostat housing for leakage.

Motor cold, break each head bolt loose and re-torque to 60lb (L20B) If you do this one at a time you can do them in any order you like.