looking at a pathfinder

So I figured the Oldsmobile :lol:has hauled enough Datsun's it time.Now its time to step up to a real tow rig:eek:I found this 1993 pathfinder v6 auto pretty much stock with all the bells and whistles. they want 3300 for it and it has 140,000ish miles onit.

is that fair, or should i move on and find a newer or older one ? I know nothing about these so i figured i would ask and see. I know some years are better than others. any help would be great and is their anything i should check onit beside the obvious??

And if any of you own a 93 do you like it??

Thanks

Freaky

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at a pathfinder being called a real tow rig :lol::lol:

My wife had a 96 passport. Same thing more or less. The engine in the passport was a pile of trash. Im pretty sure the pathfinders come with VG's so you will be better off there.

My buddy had a 94 i think pathfinder and it was pretty slow. Didnt have much power and had a pretty hard time towing his fairly small fishing boat up the mountain into truckee. The 4wd was so so, it would do pretty good given the stock setup.

gas milage sucked for what it was. It got about 14 average..... i would rather have a v8 for that haha. Timing belt isnt too hard to do, so that would be one o the first things i would check. That seems kinda high for that year/mileage, unless it is in real good shape. I wouldnt want to go higher than 3k

I tow all kinds of cars/trucks in my d21 including other d21's. With a weaker vg30i it gets the job done, up hill, down hill, in the rain, in the snow etc..... Just not quickly lol. With a 5 speed I average 17-21mpg depending on where I'm driving and how much of a hurry I'm on to get there. again that's with a less efficient tbi vg. Mine has 250k miles on it, it does it job every day regardless of the weather or how beat it is. Just don't ever expect to do it fast is all. :rolleyes:

The short comings are nissans lack of rust proofing. The d21 4x4 brakes maybe an upgrade for some datsuns but when your towing equal to or greater weight then the tow vehicle they are barely enough. Having to move 3ft forward or back to engage or disengage the 4wd can be annoying too, if you get stuck in a spot how do you engage it? Slipping the wheels and slamming it into 4x4 is how lol.

Hope that gives you some insight. All said and done though a pathy will tow a 510 just about anywhere anytime. It's one of the easiest cars you could tow. If thats your main concern I mean.