Car will not start in cold weather.

atcupit

I have a 1976 Datsun 620 truck and am having problems getting it started in the morning. I have researched this and most of the time it is the battery, but I have just bought a new battery and it didn't help.

It is about 50 degrees here at night and I cannot get the truck started when it cools down. 50 degrees is not nearly enough to require a block heater.

The only way to get it started is going out with a hair dryer and warming up the left side of the engine block where the spark plugs are. What could be causing this problem?

Also I am wondering what this little black pulling switch directly below my below my ignition in the cabin is? I can pull or push it and it seems to be connected to the carburetor. I cant get pictures to work on here so i hope this is enough.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just turns over and over and over, but never catches. If I blow dry the engine block for a couple minutes it will catch a bit and then shut off. I then can keep starting it until it finally catches. But it takes a few times of coming on then bouncing around and shutting off until it finally starts and stays on.

The blow dryer is not the solution... it is a hack, something that has an effect, but is not right way to go.

Sounds like your choke is not coming on. Take the air cleaner lid off, and verify that the choke flap closes when your pull the choke knob out from the dashboard.