5-speed tranny

620connor

Hello everyone my name is connor and i have a 74 datsun 620 pickup. Here is my question, i want to get some type of 5-speed trannsmission in my truck because i am tired of doing 55mph on the highway. So could any one please point me in the right direction? Thanks, And i will post pics of my truck soon.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, only 55?

Don't let the noise worry you- you're only halfway to redline when it sounds like it's trying to fly apart.

I routinely took my 4-speed 620s up to 70. Including the '73 with 4.88 rear gears ('74s have 4.38 like most 620s). In fact I had my newly acquired '76 up to 70 on Saturday, and it only has a 4-speed. Will get a 5-speed once I find another one, but the blown-up one in my 4X4 takes priority.

Thanks for the reply, and yeah it does sound like its going to blow up when i take it 70 haha.When i drive in the city i get great gas mileage, but then when i get on the highway and do about 55-60 it sucks gas like a damn v8 and it sounds like its screaming thats why i think i need a 5-speed.

The 5-speed does help with mileage. If you use a 280Z or '77-78 Truck transmission it keeps 1-4 basically the same but adds overdrive.

But you need to know which transmission you have to determine which will fit with the least mods. Since you have a '74 it could have either the short or long version.

Again it depends on the length from the motor back to the driveshaft. Early 620s were about 26" long. After Oct. '73, about 4 months into the '74 model year, a new longer 4 speed was installed that is 31.5" long. You need to identify what ya got first or the exact build date of the tag on the drivers door post.

I just swapped it out of my 79 kc for an 80 280z tranny. I'm not sure tho if I have the taller 5th or not. From what I have read 1980 could be either.

If you want it I have everything you need. You will have to put in a tranny cooler or buy an auto radiator since the stock lines fed through my radiator. It was starting to slip a little bit, but wasn't to bad.