carbed ka24?

VoidDragon

Hello all. I recently bought a 620, which has led me to this wonderful site. But in trying to figure out where to take my Datsun, I've run into a conundrum,

A buddy of mine is building a pathfinder out and wants to put in a 350. This means he wants rid of the ka that is sittin in it.

Needless to say, I can get the motor, trans, and harness for very cheap.

All the swap threads I read or at least can find, talk about needing this harness or that, and a zcar tranny.

My Q is this.....

How much of problem will a complete swap like this be? I dont see myself needing to change bell housings if I use the matching tranny? Is this going to be dramatically longer then the stock set up?

And also, the ka he has is carbed. Its apparently some sort of electronic carb, but it is no less, a carb. I cant find any sort of info on this sight or the others I know of, about this set up.

The motor is a ka24e( I think.) but it also has an 8 plug set up.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a Z24i (throttle body injection) somewhat rare on a pathfinder. Look on the driver's side of the motor, below the #2 spark plug where the block and head meet. There is a flat ares on the casting with the engine type and size stamped there.

Keep and use the FS5W71C tranny that is on it. It will be a couple of inches longer than your 620 tranny but it is a stronger better designed tranny. Have the drive shaft shortened.

Use the truck motor mounts. I have a Z24 in my 620 so they fit. You would have to pull the EFI wiring from the truck and swap into the car. The Z24i would be reasonable on gas, easier starts and idle, better running when cold compared to a carb engine. If you wanted to skip the EFI wiring you could find an '83-'85 720 intake manifold and carb (or Weber) and put on your Z24. (get the throttle cable) The Z24 carbs are small and most 720 owners rave about the Weber install. My Z24 was once an '88 Z24i and now has carb and manifold on it. The shifter hole may need to be moved back an inch or so and the tranny mount modified for the FS5W71C. Drive shaft shortened a couple of inches.

You have a '79! The standards of this year are the only 620 with a 4.11 rear end ratio. The Z24 has lots of low RPM torque so a lower rear end like this is good.