5 Speed question with parts. FNG

cbr600rx7

Hey thanks for looking. I just picked up a very clean 1971 521. The truck runs great for its age. We mounted in a set of leather seats out of a mach 1 stang and started preping the inside for new carpet. I will try to take a few pics when i get back to the house on sunday.

I am in need of a few parts. and have a few questions.

First off i need to find the little plastic speedo gear that sits in the transmission. If any one knows where i can find one that would be great.

Second i need to find a P-side window.

And finaly i am looking for info on swaping out the old 4 speed for maybe a newer 5 speed. The stock transmission works but it is starting to show its age. I figure if i am going to replace it and there is a 5 speed out there that will bolt up the the L16 then why not.

Any way thanks for any help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are at least 5, 5spds that will bolt up that I can think of. The FS5W71B is plentiful, strong and comes in a variety of ratio choices, but at 31.5" long will require the drive shaft to be shortened and a spline attached as well as modifying the tranny mount. FS5W63 dogleg (not as common nor are there gear choices) from a '77-'79 200sx or similar year A10's optional 5 spd will fit for length but you will need a spline from another d/s installed on your d/s end. Not sure if the transmission mount needs to be modifier or not.

The plastic 17 tooth plastic gear is Nissan pt # 32703 22001 about $12. If you also need the sleeve that holds it in the transmission the number is 32707 14600 about $20.

Thanks for the help. So from what i understand the FS5W71B will bolt to the L-16 engine but will need a custom drive shaft and may need the transmission mount or cross member modified a little.

Yes you will have shorten the trans mount 2" for any of these swaps. Look up Hessianben's L20 swaparoo into his 521. He has it all spelled out there with photos.:D

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=15075&highlight=hessianben%27s