diesel 2wd into gas 4wd engine swap

Dale

I have a 82 datsun kingcab 2wd w/ sd22 diesel and an ailing but probably rebuildable 5speed transmission, I recently spied an 82 4wd gas kingcab available nearby for fairly cheap I'd like to swap my diesel into. (It's got less than half the miles too) I understand the 4wd trans has a shorter tailshaft, and the diesel has the starter on the opposite side? Would it be possible to mix and match transmission housing bits to make it all fit?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on these transmissions!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First before you start:

1/ The 4X4 has a front differential just slightly off center to the driver's side but right in the oil pan. You would have to build a custom oil pan to clear this as no 720 came with the diesel 4X4 option.

2/ 720s ran two lengths of 5spd. The long at 31.5" and the shorty at 26.3". I've seen the diesel 5 spd and it was long. I have never seen a short 4 spd but they might exist. If they are the same length, the easiest thing is to swap your motor and 5spd transmission in. With difficulty you could swap th diesel front transmission case half onto the 4 spd.... but. The 4 spd front case is very similar to the 5spd, but the position of the reverse light switch is slightly to the rear about 1". So you would have to drill and tap the diesel 5spd case about 1" further back in order to use the reverse light switch with the 4 spd guts.

3/ Since you have same year trucks, swap the entire wire harness from your diesel into the gas truck. This will immeasurably simplify connecting diesel components to the dash switches. The diesel will have a glow plug timer, injection pump control module and several other diesel only relays and wiring. Even the dash instruments are slightly different. The fuel pump and gas tank are different too I think.

Both vehicles are 5 speeds. My transmission has a tendancy to get stuck in a gear (the stick pops out of gear, but it's still engaged!), and the syncros are going (IPO used GL5 fluid.)

I know a mechanic who'll give me a good deal on rebuilding the trans, if I find/provide the rebuild kit. I'm sure if I brought him both transmissions he could play mix and match, if it's possible with these two transmissions.

Complicating matters, the previous owner swapped the trans with one from a diesel datsun car, I guess it had gone bad too. Dont know what model. Where can I find a model# on the transmission? Preferably without removing it...

*From Oklahoma... bit of a drive from Cali!

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Dale

Diesel 5spds were also used in the '80-'83 Maxima and were long I believe. However it would have a bolt pattern for an L series motor. Your SD22 front case could be swapped onto it.

Get a good picture of yours and the gas 5 spd. I can tell if it can be swapped.

The gasser is 6 hrs away, no way to get to it to get pix...

I've read elsewhere that the 2wd diesels used the long trans, and I doubt the previous owner made a custom driveshaft for the short one so...

This is looking to be a bigger challenge than I can reasonably take on at this time methinks... Probably better off just rebuilding mine and living with 2wd... :(