H/L Switch issue

bilzbobaggins

My 70 521 had a broken switch. It was then put on a toggle. I pulled the one from the 69 521 and it has an extra wire.

The old harness has wires for 1 2 3 5. The new has a wire in the 4 spot that is red and blue... the one in the 1 slot is red and blue.

Heres the problem. Parking lights come on and are fine. Brake lights work.

2nd pull to get headlights on causes marker lights to go out and only right rear brake light to function.

Should I try going BR BR together???

Looking at wiring diagram and trying to figure it out

thanks

jeff

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible the '69 switch isn't compatible with the '70. There was a change in lighting requirements in the late 60s- for example, most vehicles through '68 and maybe into '69 did not use the front marker lights when the main beams were used.

My '68 is this way. The headlight switch has 3 positions (off - park - main). In Off, everything is off. In Park, the front markers and rear tails are on. In Main, the Main beams are on, the front marker lights are OFF, and the rear taillights are ON. That's how it's supposed to work, until the FMVSS standard changed that required all running/parking lights to be on when the headlights were on.

Because of that change, the wiring harness and switches changed, even though the switches look identical. That's because the front marker and rear tails used to be semi-independant. Hence, a 520 switch won't work in a 521, with '68-69 521s being an oddball, more like the 520 setup.

Note that the headlight switch has nothing to do with the brake lights. The 2 are independant. I THINK that the 521 uses combined signal/brake lights, though I'm not 100% sure of that (the 520 and '68 521 does not), so a problem with the brake lights could be in the Hazard switch or in the turn signal switch if it's not a wiring/grounding/bulb problem.

dang....ill try putting in jumpers and getting them to work...maybe it will...

but i did replace the hazard switch as well.

When i put the toggle back in the h/l switch it still will work.

man i having a blast doing this stuff.....can find the gd camera cord to post pics...

thanks dude...ill let u know

jeff