j13 swap to l series

laniadude

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have the 521 pdf yet, I highly recommend downloading it from the620.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm#wd

The one that is specifically helpful is titled Datsun '520 & 521 Parts Catalog'. It's big, 35MG or so, so be patient while it loads and then just save it locally.

It shows exploded diagrams of both the J13 and L16 equipped 521's. As the upgrade to the L series was a factory change, this pdf shows you all the PN's and the differences.

Hope that is some help, if you know anyone with a factory 1600 it might be just as easy to take photos and measurements of the mounts and go from there.

Guest DatsuNoob

I remember when Zuum510 and I did his, we just found a common measuring point (firewall) and pulled a measure to the back of the mount, cross measured to check for square, and went from there. He took the complete lower mount assy from a 620 and we slapped em on. It'll go quick, not too hard. You could just "tack" each corner down a 1/4"-1/2" or so and mock up the engine with a cherry picker taking most of the load to see if everything lines up before final welding. That way if anything has to change it wont take too much hacking.

bah, theres enough play in the stock engine brackets to account for the frame mounts being off a couple hairs (we used the shock towers, not the firewall :D ). Also, I got the 2 frame sections from a 521 from tdaaj, BUT when we compared them to the 620 I had, they were identical. SO just find a scrap truck to get the brackets off the frame... weld them in as close to the position you got them from the donor, then move on to the radiator support... on Jseries trucks theres extra sheet metal (a box of sorts) spot welded to the core support to move the radiator closer to the engine. Drill out the spot welds, and you will find that the holes for mounting a Lseries radiator are already in place!

Guest DatsuNoob

Then why didnt you say so in the 1st damn place??!:blink::fu: HAHAHA! It was a long time ago. I guess the residual bong resin has clouded my memory :lol:, wasnt trying to preach bullshit, I thought that was where we measured from. Oh well, good luck to you anyway good sir! It'll be easy :D