ca18det into a 510?

so after almost no debate, I decided that I won't sell my 510 if it does not go for 4 grand in the next two weeks. there's a ca18det a bit north of me for 600 that the guy says is pushing 350whp for 600, with a blown headgasket.

a.) is this a bit overkill for me?

b.)what is the procedure of swapping one into a 510? I'm assuming the same as a KA, as they both came in s13's?

c.) will this be expensive as hell to put in?

thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most folk will tell you without knowing your mechanical ability that the ca18det is an engine with hard to find components and not an overnight style swap. Honestly if you're going to sell your 510 right now I'd just see if it sells running. Cause you will lose an easy grand off the sale price once you start getting ca18det in, and THEN decide to sell because you're not finishing fast enough.

as far a ca18 vs ka24 difficulty it all depends on budget experience and time. Is one harder than the other? does hard = money to you? does hard = research time and part hunting time? if the answer to those is yes then KA24 wont be as hard. KA's are more readily available and can be found in need of a rebuild for 200 bucks. Harness are not hard to find, the transmissions aren't either. You could turbo a KA after the fact if you really wanna push 300+ HP with a KA.

Any how its just a matter of what you want to do honestly. Why are you selling the 510? If its financial reasons, DO NOT start a ca18det swap. You will end up with an unfinished project selling for sub 3k if you're lucky.

so after almost no debate, I decided that I won't sell my 510 if it does not go for 4 grand in the next two weeks. there's a ca18det a bit north of me for 600 that the guy says is pushing 350whp for 600, with a blown headgasket.

a.) is this a bit overkill for me?

b.)what is the procedure of swapping one into a 510? I'm assuming the same as a KA, as they both came in s13's?

c.) will this be expensive as hell to put in?

thanks.

woah 350hp for 600?? what has he done to it seeing as stock ca's come with around 175hp. if thats true ill buy it if you dont=]

oh and the swap will be much harder than a ka seeing as u have to mount the intercooler but other the turbo stuff, its the same procedure. flip cross member, new tranny mounts. wiring. same old story

how old is the guy selling you ca? does he have dyno sheets to prove that hp number? if the engine has the stock turbo there's no way you can make 350 hp. lastly, if it truly just needs a head gasket why doesn't he do it?

if i were you, i would run away from this as soon as possible.