Bed Swapping!!

Loz

No, Not like wife swapping! although I know some of your beds look pretty fcuked!

I want to swap the bed out cos its a 720. I want a propper 620 long bed with those, oh-so-lovely tail lights!

I've seen a junker near me and was going to check out the price but before I do I want to know how much work is involved in taking one off and putting one on?

I guess firstly you need at LEAST two people?

Is it just bolted on?

If anyone has any pics of the bed off, this would be great to see!

THanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's 8 bolts on the bed that have a tab welded on that spins and locks against the bed to prevent it from turning when you tighten the nuts. What happens is they get rusty and the tab will bend out of the way and spin when you turn the nut.

Just swapped beds on my 620......took out 14 bolts no problem.(8 per truck) Then had 2 that did what datzenmike said and spun out. Had to torch them off. Other than that you'll need to pull the tank and the wiring harness off the bed and then swap em. Not too difficult. Good luck :D

Guest DatsuNoob
how many people to lift the bed?

mine's a 78 so hoping the tank can stay in situe... (cos running around with my tub would be cool and let me sort and paint the chassis!)

2 guys that arent pussies will do just fine :D

Guest DatsuNoob

Removing the tank will mean you dont have to lift it out as high for everything to clear the frame. It makes it a little easier, but not absolutely necessary. Just make sure to disconnect breather/return lines, sender plug, and tap the drain plug if you want to save yourself a little weight. Me and my brother took mine out with no problems. Probably 200 lbs, (or around 100 kg for you metric guys :D) maybe a little more?