1972 ford courier engine swap

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What motor is in it currently, if it's the ford 2.3 liter i.e pinto motor no it won't fit but if it has the 2.0 Ford/Mazda motor then yes with slight modification. I'll try to find the info on the swap I did on my old courier. Took the motor out of a Mazda 626 Turbo :D.

I have played with Couriers in the past . And I'll tell you now , the motor stock in that '72 is a 1800cc ! Yes , it is the Mazda motor , but that where it all comes to a end . When Mazda went to the newer style B2200 a lot changed : Motor mounts , carb swaped sides , and also same with the exhaust . The starter switched sides as well !

So to do this swap in your early truck , you need to modify the 1800 motor mount to B2200 mount ( not too hard , they are two piece anyways ) . But , you must also use a tranny that is allreay bolted to the B2200 motor . Mazda did this all on purpose , along with a lot of Auto manufactures .

The B2200 tailshaft out of tranny is also larger than 1800 , plus trans is aprox. 3" longer.

If I were you , I'd just build the Mazda 1800cc . Been there , done that , with good results !

• 5 years later...

I know this is a really old topic, but I recently picked up a 75' courier and was wondering if the 626 turbo motor would bolt onto the stock trans or is there another transmission that needs to modified to fit? I would love it if there was a fuel injected intake that would bolt right on, but that seems unlikely...Any info would be helpful.

I know this is a really old topic, but I recently picked up a 75' courier and was wondering if the 626 turbo motor would bolt onto the stock trans or is there another transmission that needs to modified to fit? I would love it if there was a fuel injected intake that would bolt right on, but that seems unlikely...Any info would be helpful.

http://www.fordcouriercollector.com/

This forum is all Courier owners like myself. They have a ton of different swaps in the group and would be able to answer this question. I kept the stock engine, so I'm not the guy to ask.