Datsun 280zx Parts Interchange?

Hello,

I am still gathering parts on the cheap when I can for my future 510 build. One zx is mine for the taking, but there are some challenges with it. Yesterday I was away from home and came across a 80-81ish 280zx complete, t-tops and my favorite factory wheels. My pal says it hasn't moved in several years and the lady is needing $ bad. Pretty nice car really.

I am thinking of buying it for parts for my 510.

Aside from the obvious struts and transmission, what else interchanges? I am the kind of guy that keeps everything so if an alternator fits, I'd keep it:eek:

Can the rear disks be made to work? What about slave cylinders, starters, etc?

When my car is done, I want to be able to get parts most anywhere with a minimal of hassle.

Thanks people. I appreciate your help.

ROB

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both a 280ZX and a 510, and personally I wouldn't buy an entire 280ZX just to use as a parts car for the 510. Not worth the money, hassle, and space. And this is coming from a guy who tends to buy too many cars.

That said, if it's a 280ZX with the normal steering box, you can use that. Obviously the struts and front brakes work. The rear brakes can be made to work if you want to make brackets. And of course the little things like the slave cylinders work. Most of the large components won't cross over, making it not worth your time.

I too want to get my parts at minimum hassle, and that's why I've switched a lot of my components over to the Z31 300ZX. Engine/tranny, calipers, brake master, fuel pump, fuel filter,......and soon the entire rear end. Struts are from an 88 200SX, some engine parts are Nissan Quest and Maxima. So usually I can get replacement parts easily through any normal parts store.

When my car is done, I want to be able to get parts most anywhere with a minimal of hassle.

done??? :lol:

many int parts are comapatible too. esp the day/night rear view mirror.

if you have the space to remove and then part it out, go for it. :cool:

OK. Sounds like more of it will interchange than I thought. I know buying a whole car for a few pieces does not make sense to normal people, but I am not that when it comes to cars.

I figure if I can get the car for a couple of hundred, take what I need and then sell the rest for reasonable I am doing well. It is messy and very labor intensive but works well.

I used to buy parts a piece at a time and still do sometimes.

ROB