Fuel pump options - advice please

Figure a bunch of you guys have experience here.

I would like an electric pump good for up to 250-300hp that doesn't sound like a jet engine and lasts for more then a month, for under 100 bucks lol. I have experience with the holly units and walbro as well, they are just so damn loud and I find the walbos are made like crap, they get louder and louder as they wear themselves in and eventually crap out.

There has got to be a nice cheap stock pump out there that flows well and isn't so loud. I have some in mind like the 5mgte, which flows more then the 7mgte and is inline. Idk though they are pricey too, can get a 7mgte pump for 50 bucks but I think its only good to 220hp-ish. Maybe I should just nab it for a temp solution.

P.S. a Fuel regulator for under 100 would be great too. I want to kow what so complicated about a gate valve that they can charge 150+. Without a gauge no less.

Edited by 72240z
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EFI or Carb'd?

If EFI, then get a Walbro external pump. Its quiet, flows a shit ton, and lasts forever. I have installed a lot of them on high-hp cars and they always do their job reliably. I am using one on my not-high-hp KA and it works beautifully, and it is quiet. I have it mounted by the rear crossmember.

As for EFI fuel pressure regulators, they are more than a gate valve. They keep the fuel pressure constant at the injectors, even when there is a large delta between the intake manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure.

I always use AEM adjustable FPR's because I used to work for AEM and I still have brand loyalty to them. They work great, and are totally serviceable. Also, they have different orifices you can put in depending on the flow you are trying to achieve. But pretty much all the FPR's function about the same, so just get one that looks good, functions well, has a warranty, and you can afford.

If your carb'd, then I have no idea. i dont to carbs.

p.s. Filter the fuel before it enters the pump (and after if you want to).

Edited by compression