Need help with battery relocation

CorAce

Does anyone know of a write up or have info on the process of relocating the battery to the trunk? I have gotten to the point of working on the wiring and realized I have no idea what I

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need long, and larger diameter, battery cables. The longer the cables, the larger diamter they need to be to cover resistive losses.

Buy a battery enclosure at Schuck's or Summit Racing. It bolts to the trunk floorr, and has a vent tube.

Run the black cable to the engine block. And a medium size cable from there to the front body ground point (where the stock cable grounded).

Run the new red cable to the starter terminal. And smaller wires from there to the alternator and fusible link (same diameter wires as stock).

You can run the cables in car which is the usual. Use grommets where it goes thruogh the firewill and trunk bulkhead. Or you can run it under the car, I think it is not recommended? Maybe because rocks or crashses danger.

Theoretically using body grounding should work, but everyone says not to do it. Run the black cable all the way forward, saves you time later from the electrical gremlins.

do I need a fuse or braker, if so what size? is 4 ga. wire big enough? sorry I know its a ton of questions, but thanks for letting me pick your brain. once I get all the facts this should go pretty fast.

Edited by CorAce