adjusting a new weber???

Rubberman

I've got a new 32/36 electric choke Weber. I know this has been covered before and yes I have searched, and yes I'm an idiot. From the pics of the weber diagram I have seen on here where exactly is the idle adjust screw and the mixture screw? On the diagram I've seen on here the idle adjust screw is no. 56, but where is that actually on the carb? I have yet to find a pic showing where the mixture screw is. I can start the truck and as long as I keep the idle up it runs fine and no hesitation when I push the gas, but if I let the idle down it sputters, shoots fire and dies. If I start it right after that it backfires in the carb, like its loading up with gas. Any help would be appreciated, I want to get this thing adjusted so I can put a video of that new motor running. Thanks.

Edited by Rubberman
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your ignition timing set at? I installed a brand new 32/36 on my 510, and could not get it to idle no mater what I did to the carb. It turned out the timing needed to be advanced just a little. That made all the difference.

What is your ignition timing set at? I installed a brand new 32/36 on my 510, and could not get it to idle no mater what I did to the carb. It turned out the timing needed to be advanced just a little. That made all the difference.

I don't have a clue. As you can tell I'm not much when it comes to the motor. How do I check it? It seems to run great as long as I keep the idle up. Did yours do that as well?

Edited by Rubberman
Thanks Ratrod. For the idle adjustment, do you adjust the fast idle or the curb idle? My curb idle is adjusted all the way in and I have to adjust the gas cable to keep it idleing.

The green arrow is the fast idle. Its behind the choke.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tec...lean_best_.htm

http://www.racetep.com/weberX.html

These are two pretty good web sites about tuning them

I don't have a clue. As you can tell I'm not much when it comes to the motor. How do I check it? It seems to run great as long as I keep the idle up. Did yours do that as well?

If you don't know where your timing is set, I'd definitely get that set correctly first. If the timing is off, you won't be able to get it to run smoothly from idle to top end no mater how much you adjust the carb.

There is some good information here:

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech2.htm#TM

I think I ended up setting mine around 13 to 15 degrees, and that was a good compromise. I set the timing then adjusted the carb. Tried a little different timing, adjusted carb, etc. until I got the best settings.

three things

1. your ignition timing is very retarded if you have a timing light set the advance (turn toward the vacuum canister) to 10deg BTDC if not advance it a little at a time or till the engine is running fast then turn the idle down.

2. your idle will be too high after the timing is adjusted

3. your idle jet is not currently in use so turning it will be of no use. once you have a decent idle 650rpm and 10deg advance you can adjust the idle jet.

• 4 months later...

Damn, I'm haven a time with this shit. Bare with me, please, I put the pulley mark on the 0 degrees mark for the timing, I checked no. 1 piston is up, checked my wiring on the dist., rotor pointing to no. 1 plug wire and they are in correct order. I start her and when I adjust the dist, while watching with the timing light the mark on the pulley goes past 25 degrees at the highest and smoothest idle. What in the crap am I doing wrong. She has some white smoke at rev out the exhaust and some white smoke out of the carb. When I pulled the no. 1 plug, it was black, no smell of gas on it. I can see the top of the piston is black as coal. Granted I have been starting her alot and trying to get this solved with no luck. It'll back fire some out of the carb. Any help would be appreciated. I know alot of you on here, if you were here, would check it and say, look you dumbass, this is wrong and have it running in no time, but I'm on my own here. Thanks in advance.