Carb touble, 82 720 CA model

68Datsun510

Hey folks, i recently picked up an 82 720 4x4 for use as my wood truck/snow truck. I live at 4000feet and 4wd is a necessity.

Anyway, I was in the middle prepping the engine for a full tune up, all flexible hoses, all ignition bits, and clean up the carb when after i removed the carb, the "spraybar" for the secondary just fell out onto the floor. I noticed that even in hot weather the choke stayed shut as well.

I have never disassembled this sort of carb before, I have torn a DCH 340 apart, but i cant use that on this because I have to pass CA smog. It has a DCR 342.

Any tips on how to fix the spraybar? ANyone have a good cond 342 to sell???

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a set screw that holds and locks both the primary and secondary venturies in position.

Remove the secondary operating vacuum diaphragm:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720carbsecondaryventurisetscrew0012.jpg[/img]"]720carbsecondaryventurisetscrew0012.jpg

Behind it you should see a set screw that threads into the back and locks the venturi in place. Over to the right you can see the one for the primary venturi:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720carbsecondaryventurisetscrew0011.jpg[/img]"]720carbsecondaryventurisetscrew0011.jpg

Carb may have been previously re-built. The screw may be loose or missing. Pretty sure later Cali carbs venturies are not removable.

ALready have it torn down to that part, it definitely has never been rebuilt, varnish abound. ALso, how the hell do i get those setscrews out? Tried every size flathead and they all come away damaging them. I hit them with some pb blaster and will check on them tomorrow.

I am "berrymans Chem-DIp" -ing every part as i remove it.

This thing should run like a top when I am done with it!

One more thing, on the vacuum secondary module, if i depress the secondary actuator arm upwards into the canister, then block the hole with my finger, should it rebound as if i hadnt covered the hole?

I tore it down and inspected it, no damage found, totally intact diaphragm.