Parts interchangability question

I am looking at buying another datsun tomorrow. The truck that I am looking at is a 73 620 with only 81,767 miles on it. Its a reg. cab and its an automatic to boot:((I would rather have a manual but oh well) The guy is wanting $500 for it and he is pretty firm(I think its worth it, if its as clean as he says it is)

Anyways the truck needs a carb.(maybye rebuilt) and a starter relay.

I was wondering if I could rob the parts off of my 78 KC??? I don't think that the carb is gonna work, cause my 78 is an L20 and all the research I have done says that the 73 should have the 1.6L. I figured that maybye somebody on here will know, or know where I can get one.

I figure that the starter relay should probably be the same, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help, Steve

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The speedo only goes to 99,999 so check items like the brake pedal rubber for wear that would support the mileage advertised. If the rubber is worn tot he metal it's been around the block. Is the shift knob worn? Driver's door hinges worn?

If high mileage the motor may have been swapped. As there were more L20B motors than L16s check the motor size. look on upper edge of block where it meets the head just below #3 plug behind the dip stick. Should be stamped there.

Just swap the whole L20B starter onto the L16.

Carb will fit but jets will likely be wrong size. L16 jets will probably fit the L20B carb?

If the KC has standard tranny then you have most of the parts needed to convert the '73 over. If the L20B runs good swap the motor and tranny.

Picked it up today, I'm only gonna be the third owner on the truck. The body has no rust at all, the floorboards have just a little surface rust. The door hinges are good, the truck is in awesome shape except the interior is a little rough(dash pad, bench needs redone)

According to autozone the carbs are different, but I got a carb rebuild kit at autozone for 20bux.

They also said that the starters are the same. I used the relay off my 78 and got it to turn over, shot a little carb cleaner to it and it runs. After it cleared up a little I was able to drive it, shifts good, but the carb definatley needs overhauled.