"new" truck, 1968 521, few questions

I was pretty sick this weekend but I managed to piece together the front section of the frame today in between welding up the box floor I'm doing. It was definitely worth the wait for the new bandsaw as there were a couple tricky cuts that would have been a pain otherwise.. I also like to make things harder on myself by keeping all the tube seams to the inside. haha.

DSC01342.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn dude its getting there. Those frame rails look awesome, i've got a buddy building a frame out of 2x3 for his square body blazer, thats a serious amount a work. Although he's been taking his sweet ass time due to the distraction of the right hand drive conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After the show I decided since it it needed new rocker panels anyways, I may as well go a little lower. So I formed up new panels 1.5" shorter than stock, and cut the floor out.

DSC02069.jpg

dsc02087.jpg

It sat like that for a few months as I was busy with the dually project and some other customer work. I finally got started on the datsun again this weekend though. Finished my new frame table, got the frame on the table and squared up the cab. Working on the inner rockers and cab mounts then starting a new floor and firewall.

And when I picked it up:

9729_175166585119_560595119_4219722.jpg

The wheels arent mine, I borrowed them for the show. The truck will just be getting steel wheels.

I also had the transmission overhauled and I have that back. I'm going to send the motor out for an overhaul once I finish build new motor mounts and a trans crossmember.

Are the weber carb kits for these trucks worthwhile? I figure it might be the better option rather than rebuilding the stock one.

many people swear by the weber 32/36 upgrade, while others seem to have nothing but trouble with them. I just ordered one because my old hitachi has severely worn hard parts that are irreplaceable. If you can find one used for cheap rebuild it clean it thoroughly and give it a whirl. Better power, a smidge less fuel economy, but a good upgrade.