Clutch Size ???

I am doing a engine swap in my 510 I have an L20B with 1978 Dogleg tranny and the Clutch size is 200MM the new engine is L20B but it was mated up with newer i think 79-81 dogleg with an 225MM clutch. Question is can I use the 225MM clutch and flywheel in the older dogleg transmission. I plan on using the flywheel that on the new engine the one with the 225mm clutch. What throw out breaing should I use?

Any help would be appreciated it.

I got the old engine pulled and ready to drop the new one in but want to install a new clutch.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely! The tranny has no say in your choice of flywheel/clutch size. Only the L20B trucks and Z cars used the 225mm flywheel so it's likely off of one of those or the motor is from a truck. If you have the collar that holds the release bearing that was used with the old 225mm clutch, use it. For a bearing, order one for an L20B truck '75-'79. Some clutches come with a collar matched to the clutch, if so use it.

Do you know what the motor is originally from?

mike

If the tranny is out spend $5 and 5 minutes and put a new rear seal in it. Cheap insurance against later drips. Install empty and fill with fresh GL-4 not GL-5. Change every 30K miles. (or oftener)

Edited by datzenmike

I decide to go with the 200MM found out it was a roadster clutch and flywheel. It is alot lighter than the 225MM stock 4cyl clutch and flywheel setup and has heavier spring rate.

Dropping the newer engine in tonight.