Lifting a 521?

AlienYouth

I've got a beater 521, and i want to lift it, so i can beat on it more. lol. It's got torsion bars up front, and i dont think crankin them all the way up is gonna lift it much, any common mods for this, or am i better off swapping different front suspension. I'm a mechanic, and realize i can flip the rear axle and use blocks, and after some serious rust repair, i can do a body lift, lol, but have little experience with torsion bars.

Thanks in advance,

Alien

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a 4" body lift on my 620 for tire clearance. The problem, like in the 521, is the one piece steering column and box. The column had to bend as the body was raised vertically. (not good) I loosened the box and allowed it to tilt up but not enough.

Torsion bars can raise it 3-4," but the further from stock the more the camber is out. The wheels tilt inward at the top and removing the top shims can help but there are limits to this. Also the higher you go the more the wheels toe in but this is adjustable.

I had a '71 and was easily able to run 225 75R 14s with the bars up. The easiest lift is taller tires. My current 620 has 12.5 X 33s which is over 7" higher than stock, so over 3.5" of lift. (a bit extreme though)

Last is a SAS. Almost unlimited lift.

Edited by datzenmike
I did a 4" body lift on my 620 for tire clearance. The problem, like in the 521, is the one piece steering column and box. The column had to bend as the body was raised vertically. (not good) I loosened the box and allowed it to tilt up but not enough.

Torsion bars can raise it 3-4," but the further from stock the more the camber is out. The wheels tilt inward at the top and removing the top shims can help but there are limits to this. Also the higher you go the more the wheels toe in but this is adjustable.

I had a '71 and was easily able to run 225 75R 14s with the bars up. The easiest lift is taller tires. My current 620 has 12.5 X 33s which is over 7" higher than stock, so over 3.5" of lift. (a bit extreme though)

Last is a SAS. Almost unlimited lift.

sweet, i'll just move the bars as much as i can and see where that gets me

The full 4x4 experience plus the SAS gives you the added bonus of creating a truck that can actually go somewhere...instead of just looking like it might be able to...maybe.:blink:

Nothing is as cool as a locked and tooled up truck going wherever the heck you want it to.:D