Anyone have L20B stock cam spec sheet?

spottedog

I want to degree my cam and can't find the cam specs needed to degree the cam.

This is a "LZ24" engine, and adding the required extra 4 links to the timing chain has always made me wonder about the cam timing not being correct.

If I had the specs, I could degree the cam and put my mind at ease.

With the added 4 links in the chain and the cam timed using the "normal" method there would be a extra 2 links on "each side" of the cam sprocket so this makes it "even out" so just putting in together the normal way is OK?

With this modded chain using the two "bright links" ain't going to work, so I thought with the lengthened chain, I could start from one bright link" and count 44 pins (stock number of pins between cam and crank sprockets) and count two more pins (46) then mark that link as the "new" "bright link" to use on the lengthened chain. ??

(four links added to chain overall, so there are two extra links on each side when the chain is over the two sprockets)

I think my little brain is going to melt thinking about this. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reassembling a "LZ24 Frankenstein" engine is a bit less than normal, so I would like to ask if I have the cam timing as good as it can be.

(My timing chain is lengthened four links, and I am using a Z24 cam sprocket so the normal "V notch" on the sprocket is now a slot)

Using the number 3 hole over the cam dowel pin the notch on the cam sprocket was to the LEFT of the line on the cam retainer plate (the picture did not come out usable)

Using the number 1 hole over the cam dowel pin the notch on the cam sprocket is just a little bit to the RIGHT of the line on the cam retainer plate, damn near centered.

I assume this is the best setting that I can get? Just slightly advanced cam timing? Please see pictures:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dd26b3127ccec6daeb44252a00000040O00AZs2LJy1cOWIPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dd26b3127ccec6db6267c4a900000040O00AZs2LJy1cOWIPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dd26b3127ccec6da6a8fe40900000040O00AZs2LJy1cOWIPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

The chain guides and tensioner are new, the tensioner is bottomed in the bore, the chain is tight.

One picture shows the exhaust and intake lobes for the #1 cylinder not exactly at "10:00 and 2:00" ? Is this a problem?

Thanks for your patience (Datzenmike) and everybody else!

Little things like lowering the oil pan to refit the timing cover and removing all the air conditioning stuff are no picnic on this 720 4WD Frankenstein powered "thing" :eek: So just want to put it back together once! :)

Edited by spottedog