need help with tranny swap

So i want to put a dogleg 5 speed in my 510 and it has a 3 speed auto in it...ive been told that thers some modifying that needs to be done(tranny crossmember) and told by others that there isnt any modifying i need to do so id like to know what needs to be done...if anyone can help that would be great

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very basically it does 'drop in' for fit but you need new clutch/brake pedals. clutch master cylinder, pressure line, slave cylinder, push rod and boot (may be on new tranny), flywheel, clutch and pressure plate assy, throw out bearing and collar on clutch arm (may be on new tranny), pilot bushing for crankshaft end, and remove auto trans spacer from crankshaft end, mod tranny mount, install shifter (may come with new tranny).

Very basically it does 'drop in' for fit..... mod tranny mount.....

What modding does the xmember need? I've talked to a few people who have said different things. A few people who are selling custom xmembers but no one who will actually SELL me one. Do you, or anyone, have pictures of a crossmember that will work with a dogleg next to a normal 4speed one?

OK after doing a 'search' of my voluminous pictures I have one of a 200sx dogleg above a long tail F4W63. Bear with me, I know the 510 uses a short tail. If you examine the picture you can see that the mounts are pretty much exactly the same, OR if anything the dogleg are slightly forward but not by much.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transshort5spddoglegandlong766104sp.jpg[/img]"]transshort5spddoglegandlong766104sp.jpg

Now here is a stock 510 F4W63 short tail compared to the long tail. As you can see the stock mount is the perhaps slightly shorter than the long mount. On some swaps the body mount is taken off and turned around and faces the rear. this moves the bolt holes toward the front.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg[/img]"]trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg

• 4 months later...

im having some trouble getting my tranny to fit as well but im swapping a 4 speed to a dog leg 5 speed. i have everything together but the x member doesnt seem to line up with the holes on both sides i thought i was putting it in backwards but no matter how i flip it it doesnt fit