Cracked block between cyclinder 2 & 3?

Foxhound

Welp, got the head gasket off and my suspicions were correct; it was blown between 2 & 3. After cleaning up surface of the block I noticed what looks like a crack, albeit only on the surface. I hit it with the brass wire wheel hoping it was part of the gasket still stuck on there but this was as clean as I could get it.20240915_151213.thumb.jpg.dd61ba1ca7ba945cda2fc915a26cf60f.jpg

It is raised slightly and Im thinking about sanding it down a little and going from there. Another thing I noticed is the cylinders that come up to that spot have seemingly been losing mass as well. Sorry its hard to get good pics under 4mb.20240915_151242.thumb.jpg.d517a465e8c7a9b0ae810761198cf248.jpg

I think the correct thing to do here would be to have the surface machined and the cylinder walls overbored probably but Im on a budget and time crunch at the moment. One day. The head is in decent condition, slightly warped. Im going to sand it down on some glass and sandpaper. The poor mans machining lol. Yall have any pro tips here? I dont really have a choice but to throw on a new gasket and run it for a couple months.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That might just be the erosion from gasses burning their way traveling between cylinders. The 'crack' doesn't appear to go deep at all.

If it were mine I would start looking for a spare Z24 and in spare time rebuild it. In the meantime a thin smear of JB Weld across that area and sand down with fine fine emery paper on a block of wood till the block metal shows through and only the JB filled low spots are showing.  New gasket and re-torque the head bolts once a year when the block is cold.

• Like 1