Will a 1973 620 non-clutch fan blade fit a '92 D21 2.4 Nissin water pump with clutch removed?

I am trying to install a '92 D21 KA motor in my 1958 MG Magnette.  Not much room so will a non-clutch fan from a 1973 620 fit the '92 KA water pump with the clutch removed?

The bolt holes on the pump are 6" apart at the cross section.

Thak you

Jim

Hood River, OR

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off hand I would say no. The L16 bolts are close together than 6" diagonal. Are you sure it's 6" diagonal? and not more like half that?

Assuming that the KA  pump surface is that large and the L16 bolt pattern is smaller...

With KA pulley off and separate, carefully center the plastic L16 fan on the KA pulley and mark the holes.

Bolt the KA pulley to the KA water pump. Drill holes suitable for the bolts you want to use through the pulley and the water pump casting mount. I suppose you could at this point tap the KA water pump to take bolts.

Remove the KA bolts and nut and bolt the L16 fan onto the new holes.

These L16/18 four blade fans howl like crazy. Anyone who has had them will tell you this. Also they are smaller diameter and half the blades for cooling a 2.4 KA engine. I, myself would leave the clutch off, bolt the pulley to the KA water pump and find a suitable electric fan and sensor and mount on the front of the radiator. Wrecking yards are full of them. 

I have two Subaru electric fans. They won't fit side by side in my 710 so I rewired one to pull air through the rad and mounted behind it left side and the other pushing from the front on the right. There's a 3-4" overlap where there's push and pull. The sensor is an inline lower radiator hose fitting from a '90s Sentra 200sx with CR20 engine. It turns the fans on at 185-190F. They are almost never on if moving, never on when engine is warming up, if at the lights long enough or stop and they come on for 10 and off for 30 seconds.

Oops it's 60 mm or 2.37 inches.  It sucks getting old and you read the small numbers wrong.

So, the smaller blades make a racket, maybe I'll go with an electric fan.

Thanks

Jim

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The '92 2.4 fan blade with the clutch removed has a 5.25 spacing on the mounting bolts ( diangle ).  The water pump has a 2.37 diangle spacing.  Do they make a spacer that allows the 5.25" blade fit the 2.37 water pump? ( less clutch )