Fair price of a mostly restored Datsun l320

Java

Hello guys, i'm grateful for the forum for all the help in putting my l320 back together. Originally I planned on using the truck as a classic daily driver in school. Sadly, after the "restoration" I realized its a lot less practical than I thought and I decided I need to sell it to buy a more practical vehicle.

All said and done, I got the engine running, replaced the brake master cylinder and a wheel cylinder, replaced the brake light pressure switch, coated the frame, repainted the truck, installed a full exhaust system, replaced weatherstripping and window felts, added carpet, bought new door cards, installed a two channel amp under the seat, etc... I also bought new triangle rubbers, but didn't install them yet bc the old ones are sealing fine.

For the "bad" parts of the vehicle, the chrome on the front grill, hood trim, and one headlight bezel is a little pitted. There is a small crack in the windshield and the windshield rubber looks a little rough on bottom but doesn't leak to my knowledge.

Lastly the original drivetrain was replaced with one from a suzuki samurai. Not sure if that would be a "positive" for driveability as the engine is newer with a 5sp trans, or negative for no longer being stock.

Anyways, I don't really know what I should try to get from it? I understand that putting money in doesn't always mean its worth that much. But also, I don't see these on FB market that often, so hard to gauge what it should be. Thanks again for the help.

trugclose.jpeg

20240607_174315.jpg

20240607_174323.jpg

20240607_174400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Suzuki motor may not appeal to all buyers. One way to make it more appealing is to make the install look stock. Obviously I can't see it here, but if the wiring isn't tidy, hoses and clamps running all over the place, even things like engine color, all those things can be addressed to make it look more at home under the hood.

Second thing, I'd track down a set of hubcaps. You won't likely find 320 caps, but any other Datsun truck cap will fit those wheels. I had 620 caps on my 320 and they looked great.

And um, the rear bumper...I'd ditch it in favor of a blank space. Trucks don't NEED rear bumpers.

There's a saying that I'm sure you have all heard before, and it applies massively in vehicle sales - "you only get one chance to make a first impression." Go as far as you can without spending too much to tidy, clean, lube, adjust and work the bugs out to maximize value. You'd be surprised how just changing the door seals can affect someones impression of the vehicle when they take it for a test drive.

Value on a 320? I sold mine for $8k almost 15 years ago.

Here's a couple pics of the rear bumper I made for my 320. Simple and took three hours.

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_Wiring006.

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_Wiring004.

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_Wiring003.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, your truck looks beautiful too! I'll try to button mine up to the best of my ability. It still needs headliner, which i'll definitely do. I'll clean and tidy the engine bay for photos, and if cheap hubcaps come my way, i'll snag 'em up.  I don't have any metal, and lost access to my welder (brother took it down south), so idk about rectifying the 4x6 bumper... but its better than the bent I-beam I replaced 😞. If you think it looks better without it, i can take new photos and just give it to someone if they buy the truck.

Thanks again for the help

I do admire the rear bumper, but you have to consider that everyone's taste is individual. Something bold like that may turn them off, even in the face of how easy it is to remove.

Ever watch those home buying shows on TV, where the hipster couple sees a house and doesn't like the paint, so they pass on it? That's what I mean. Mostly people have no imagination. Except for us of course...