Broke a part - Not sure what it is

I broke this part off. When changing out the thermostat, I found lots of gunk in there and was cleaning it out. I thought I would remove this to clean it out as well. It looked like it was just threaded in. It broke right off as soon as I tried to remove it.

Can any one tell me what part this is?

Also, any suggestions on removing the metal portion that was left behind in there?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.thumb.jpeg.9a9c147becf90733015a43c83951bb15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a295a75d007bd098a1fb84366216a116.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.55362a4696d8cdd963172ba6448dbbe5.jpeg

Thermal Vacuum Valve is my guess. When cold it blocks vacuum from passing through it. Once the engine warms it opens and lets vacuum through, probably to the EGR valve. It's broken so not working anyway. 

You do not want to remove the remains as it goes into the cooling system and you'll have a leak. Presumably it will just stay the way it is. Look in the thermostat hole and you should see the other end.

Thank you datzenmike for identifying that part for me. That part is still available for purchase. Are you saying it would not be advisable to remove the broken piece (it looks like it is threaded in) and replace it with a new one? I'd like to replace it if I can. 

Not at all saying that. Most delete or disable the EGR.

You would need to remove the threads that are caught in the head. Or are there threads left? looks clean. You would need to drill out the brass part and use a large easy out. I would heat around the opening as aluminum expands twice as much as steel. When hot, spray down with WD-40 to suddenly cool and shock it several times then heat and try the easy out.

I wouldn't try to remove that ported vacuum switch if it's not being used, and it doesn't like it's in use since one of the barbs is snapped off and I don't see any vacuum hoses going to it. Trying to remove the old one could be a huge pain in the ass, and it doesn't look like its been leaking coolant at all.

Save the money you would spend on a new switch and buy a battery hold down kit to replace that tarp strap holding your battery down. You don't want a battery flying around in the engine compartment when that tarp strap breaks.

https://www.amazon.ca/xbrtaia-battery-Aluminum-holder-Battery/dp/B0CTFDJPHH/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3MPRQIZY01BUR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.972FVe_ivD7TkhQiwtKgdSurOCPFD0hfFioYaRxiMCTB1guna-JqzvdwkSYht3EFbH-Ssv0g7XY-sKwdsRQqaNn29rrBJEjgznO9ym3hAV3Ek-nl9HmcFZ1H7aFsyhWNGeCvgwxet_y2vBl6dXmygD42LmZtDANJmXqblTjpPXPDOqYAcCN4sSwTbKNmBFlY5mlbt_rv_WVq4o1DZbCBhALOmB-uR2OypmUxu4r1DQgEyoegq_2bE5Y3V5nUr1T44zG7aAtXV9yPbIlQV0L4DFRzrGL5cSQSpUFLMZtN2TY.CuTsemvdkb136OqwR1X-GbBd_mIpOz2WBsSu7zOSihk&dib_tag=se&keywords=battery%2Bhold%2Bdown&qid=1717468039&sprefix=battery%2Bhold%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-9&th=1