Oil pump shaft

What oil pump shaft will fit in a '92 KA 2.4 timing chain cover and allow a 720 or a 620 distribution with vacuum advance?

Also what oil pump can I use?

I am working on a '92 D21 2.4 motor, but what a water pump without a clutch and no computer control on the distributor advance.

Thank you

Jim

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spindle from an early Z20 a Z22 or Z24 before April '85 when it changed to CAS. I'm fairly sure the L20B spindles will also work as the Z20 used an L20B distributor and it fit so will fit the Z24 and the KA24E.

You want a 4 wire distributor and preferably NOT an 8 wire one from a Z series, though they would work with 4 wires missing but look weird. The '80 Z20 in the A10 HL510 car was a 4 wire matchbox and so was the '80 S110 200sx. All California and all '81s on were 8 plug. As I mentioned I believe the L20B distributors will fit also so the '80 720, '79 620, 79 S10 200sx and '79 A10 HL510   were matchbox EI distributors. The '78 620 and S10 200sx were a 'remote igniter' EI and all before '78 were points distributors.

Definitely keep and use the KA oil pump. It's high volume output pump with 13% longer rotor inside. I grab them from wrecking yards and have run them in all my L20B engines.

Water pumps all have the integral clutch fan. Nothing wrong with them if working.... quieter than a direct coupled fan and saves a bit of gas. Even better it to zip the clutch fan off the pump shaft, leaving only the pulley and run an electric fan. Thousands of electric fans out there. Do it right with a temp sensor in the lower rad hose and a relay and fuse. They are never on when the engine is cold, or when vehicle is moving as vehicle speed pushes air through the rad and certainly not on at highway speeds. May come on idling at the lights and if connected to the battery will sometimes come on briefly after vehicle is parked.