521 Winshield removal

OK so I make the mistake of calling a glass company and asking how much to replace the windshield in my 69 Datsun. Ends up new ones are a little pricey ($400.00) I noticed the 70 521 at pick and pull has a good windshield in it, will it fit the 69? In all my years I have never had the need to remove a windshield (in one piece lol) What do ? need to know before I begin. I have a company that will come to my house and put the new one in for $65.00 but I got to get the one home from pick and pull in one piece first. Assuming it fits.

Thanks Again,

Mark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what i do is take a sharp new razor blade, make 4 slices in the rubber in the middle on the sides and top and bottom, then I carefully take a pry bar and hammer, start at one of the slits, this will remove the outside rubber, if done carefully, you will be able to pop out the windshield with out breaking it, i have done this method for both my 521 and my 620, front and rear windows

If you can find a new gasket for the windshield (if they are still available??? I dont know) just cut the outer lip off with a good pocket/buck knife or leatherman and gently push it out. If you use a flimsy one the handle might break on you when youre pushing on it

If you have a good pliable gasket either on your truck or on the JY one, take some silicon spray lube in a can (Napa has it) and gently pry the gasket back enough to spray it along the inside of the seal. Then CAREFULLY try and gently push on the windshield while pulling the gasket back so that it will fit through the window opening. 2 people is a must, NEVER push on just one spot on the windshield.... It will break. I used butterknifes and a painters tool (looks like a putty knife with a halfmoon shape on one side and a sharp point on the other) I wrapped both with clear packaging tape and made sure that they were lubed up with silicon, you dont want them sticking. Also be careful on how much you pry on your window gasket,if you pull it out too far the gasket will crack in half. DO NOT EVER PRY ON THE WINDSHIELD!!! and patience is definately a virtue, the only warning you will get is when the window breaks...

Considering the fact that you found a good windshield in a yard and a new one costs 400 bucks Id just cut the seal on the good one and try and use your old one if its not too cracked... It SUCKS when you break the parts you need.

As for transporting a windshield, mine fit behind the seats in my KC Tacoma and I wrapped it up with an old heavy sleeping bag, I didnt trust laying it flat in the bed.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better method, I need to do my 74 for paint and a headliner... either way good luck.

Also heres a little disclaimer. I have only done this a couple of times and kind of just figured it out as I went, I am by no means a professional but this method worked for me... I am on the lookout for new KC window gaskets though. I cracked the rubber worse when trying to reinstall the new glass into the old seal.

Edited by mike

I cut the rubber seal to ensurer that the window did not break when I pushed it out,safest way.If you are looking for a window gasket check on E-bay,there is a place that sells them in Taiwan(or over there somewhere).The are way cheaper than the ones being sold in the US.Good luck with your windshield.