Headlight retaining rings: 3d modeler needed

I had a thought about headlight retaining rings.  Mostly because one of mine in my 620 has catastrophically failed and they are pretty unpleasant to hunt down.

Could somebody with 3d modeling experience make an .stl file of one?  I would be willing to pay a commission fee for it.  I have a 3d printer, but have yet to manage the modeling side of things.  I think having a handy supply of easy to make plastic crap that I can use as all of mine eventually disintegrate would be nice.  Also, if it works well enough, the .stl files would be available for anybody else who has similar issues with a dangling headlight and also a 3d printer.  

Or do y'all think this is just plain unfeasible?

If no one is interested, I'll just have to learn modeling sooner than later.  I was planning on putting that off indefinitely, but I seem to have a need for it, presently.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Designing the trim ring for FDM will require dimensions different than that of the original stamped sheet metal part. It is possible, but due the geometry of the ring is not something that is easily converted into a set of dimensions for modeling. It's going to be a bit of trial and error. 

I have 3d printed and used dies to make small quantities of sheet metal parts. 

Edited by Wildcat Walker

I hadn't realized that there was a 3D printing topic, when I posted this, and I was told over there that it's probably just not a good idea at all to print these.

I might still try, but I might have to hunt Ebay for a ring, presently, if it's not going to work. 

The project will, at least, give me something to try and model as I learn 3D modeling.