Z31 GLL radio in a GL

H3nleY

Hey y'all!

I finally got myself a stock radio at the right price to replace the ugly aftermarket Alpine in my 1986 Z31. Trouble is, I didn't realize it was a radio for a GLL trim level while my car is a GL.

I understand GLLs past 85 had an external amplifier while the GLs had one built into the radio. Is that what the two 7-pin DIN connectors on the back of it are for?

Is there any way to make this work with my car? Can I buy an external aftermarket amp that will work? I don't mind doing wiring, I just need to know what to expect.

Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very specific question to the 300ZX variants. I don't think you're going to find someone on this forum that shows for sure.

It is good that factory service manuals are out there in PDF form for each Z. I would suggest comparing the radio wiring from the service manuals. Look at the 1986 radio and compare it to the GLL radio.

In most cases, I have heard that factory systems with an external amp can be bypassed to use an aftermarket amp.

You may find that if you connect the radio's speaker wires up directly to a speaker, that you can still hear some sound coming out at full volume. If so, just wire in those speaker wires to a four channel amp and then out to your speakers.