Rear glass seal

powderfinger

Just finished the test fit on a rear window. So far so good. Of course I won't know for sure until I get down to the glass shop for installation. I also noticed that the seal is made in the U.S. according to the label.

Yb7eJGh.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/7/2024 at 8:13 PM, Sephakrid said:

Just finished the test fit on a rear window. So far so good. Of course I won't know for sure until I get down to the glass shop for installation. I also noticed that the seal is made in the U.S. according to the label.

Yb7eJGh.jpeg

How did it go? I’m also looking to get the same one too. Do you have the link to the same seal by chance?

I haven't had a chance to get it installed yet. I'm currently reassembling and testing the cooling system (water pump, radiator, thermostat, various hoses). Once that's done I can hopefully get down to the shop! This is the page I ordered from:

https://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-70-4830-81

The seal was in stock last month, but in my infinite wisdom I shared it with some of the 720 Facebook groups and now it's back-ordered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally had the rear glass seal installed, along with a new slider. The shop said it was very tight, especially in the lower corners. I'm not sure if this is due to the seal or the slider, which is aftermarket CRL and may have been slightly too large. It went in eventually, though!

Also, yes this truck is a heap and I question why I keep throwing money at it!

0bibO3f.jpeg

c4YPzHJ.jpeg

y8YLzjh.jpeg

• Like 1
On 5/14/2024 at 9:06 PM, Sephakrid said:

I finally had the rear glass seal installed, along with a new slider. The shop said it was very tight, especially in the lower corners. I'm not sure if this is due to the seal or the slider, which is aftermarket CRL and may have been slightly too large. It went in eventually, though!

Also, yes this truck is a heap and I question why I keep throwing money at it!

0bibO3f.jpeg

c4YPzHJ.jpeg

Does it keep any water out? Also my rear window looks different from yours so I’m not sure if it will fit the same. My slider is different and the corners of mine are sharp angles 

IMG_3769.jpeg

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Joecar said:

My slider is different and the corners of mine are sharp angles 

Your window looks like the factory sliding glass window so a replacement seal should work fine. The one I purchased for mine worked well. I believe the link is in the beginning of this thread somewhere.

Edit: it was in the first post of mine

https://vintagerubber.com/datsun-720-pick-up-rear-glass-seal-cal-style-extended-king-cab-1980-1986/

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 1

The dimensions on my original sliding window, measuring from the outer corners of the aluminum frame were:

50.5" bottom length

13.5" height, measuring from the middle

4' from bottom left to top right corner

The aftermarket replacement window was about 0.5-1.0" longer in all dimensions and still worked with the seal. It just took the glass shop some extra time to get installed.

I live in San Diego, so we don't get much rain, but I don't see any gaps between the seal and truck body. The bottom corners (see previous post) aren't perfect, but I suspect this may be related to the slightly different dimensions on the replacement window.

Honestly, I like the look of the Vintage Rubber seal more, but it's been out of stock forever!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, powderfinger said:

Your window looks like the factory sliding glass window so a replacement seal should work fine. The one I purchased for mine worked well. I believe the link is in the beginning of this thread somewhere.

Edit: it was in the first post of mine

https://vintagerubber.com/datsun-720-pick-up-rear-glass-seal-cal-style-extended-king-cab-1980-1986/

So the one I have is without the groove in the rubber?