85 Nissan 720 Weber idle cut off solenoid.

Thomas Perkins

Hi Ya'll.My Idle cut off solenoid died yesterday(RIP).I bought a North American Weber long ago and back then they came with the idle cut off solenoid.Someone put the carb. on.Way before the internet was around.It had the black choke as the Redline had the white choke,plus it had the Weber sticker.This is when my stock carb went bad.They had it wired wrong,They had the choke wire spliced and going to the idle cut off solenoid too.So Corey from 72O World told me to use the red wire for the idle cut off solenoid and that fixed it.Blue wire goes to the choke.This was about 16 years ago or longer.Then Years later,the gaskets were leaking,A guy at work was a carb rebuilder so I bought a rebuild kit and he put new parts on it and I installed it back on.But when I got it home,the idle cut off solenoid was gone.I asked him about it and he said he didn't know.He charged 20 bucks.So I bought a Redline Weber solenoid,it came with the o ring and jet and it didn't work.So I got online and did some research and found many forums about Weber Reline solenoids don't work,they have since put some new types out but don't know if they work,they now have a different part number as other 32/36 parts that were improved,like the leaking gaskets.So I bought a EMPI solenoid.It didn't come with a jet or a o ring.I took the jet off the old solenoid and put a new O ring on and put it on.You have to watch how you tighten it cause it may not work right.You have to get it just right for it to idle perfect.So I bought a extra Empi solenoid a while back and a new jet from Redline Weber that goes on the idle cut off solenoid,it is the big one and also bought a bunch of different size O rings from Harbor Freight.So this set up last a very long time.Then the other morning,I went to start to go to work and it would die after I let off the gas.So I got my wrench and took off the solenoid and the O ring was wasted and found another one but it was a little big.So after work I drove to Harbor Freight and got some more and it started doing good.Then the next day it did it again,so I adjusted how tight it should be,it did good all the way home then died.So I got my new EMPI solenoid with my new jet and new O ring,and it wouldn't work,so I took both jets off and compared them and the new one was angled different at the end that goes in the carb.So I took the old jet and new O ring and installed on new EMPI Solenoid and it works great.The Carb that I have is the Redline Weber with the white choke,it is the Genuine Weber.Maybe the angle on the jet made it not work.Here is the idle jet that didn't work.When ever you put the solenoid on,the piece next to the hole has to be grinded with a dremel tool or it won't fit into the hole.You will mess the threads up if you don't grind it.If you over tighten it,it will not idle right.To make sure it is working,just disconnect wire when engine is running and it will cut off.The other one with the new jet kept running when wire was disconnected, and wouldn't idle right.But now everything is good.Time to buy a new EMPI cut off solenoid,like to keep a spare.I even replaced the female connector going to the solenoid.I have tried my Redline Weber when I got it without the solenoid and it wouldn't idle. Genuine Weber parts are not always the best.https://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Part=74409.040 Here is the EMPI solenoid that I use.I now rebuild my own when gaskets go bad.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weber Primary Idle Jet, 32/36 DGAV Carburetor, Large Size

Click for a larger picture of Weber Primary Idle Jet, 32/36 DGAV Carburetor, Large Size
View Catalog Page in PDF format

This large jet is only found on the primary side of certain carburetors, including the ADFA, DGAV ("33B1" variant), and some DGV equipped with an idle control solenoid. It is designed to be held by the idle control solenoid assembly instead of a jet holder. The solenoid extends into the jet to shut off fuel flow when the ignition is turned off.

This jet measures about 0.155" diameter, larger than the more common 32/36 DGV / DGAV Idle Jet (Part No. 1587). Note the consistent OD where the air inlet hole is located in the side of the jet. The larger 4mm push-in flange will not fit in the standard idle jet holder.

The smaller (1/8" diameter) jet, which has a necked down portion around the side air inlet hole, is much more common than this large jet. The small jet is used on the secondary side of all DGV/DGAV/DGEV carburetors, the primary side of most DGV carburetors, and on both sides of many other Weber downdraft carburetors.

Jet sizes refer to the diameter of the fuel outlet hole. Larger size numbers indicate a richer idle mixture. The size of the air bleed hole in the side is fixed (no "F" number variation). Sold individually.

Okay,found out my dumb ass bought the wrong size jet for the solenoid.The one I've been using is .60 and the one I bought is .40.So I will keep using my old one.When you buy a Weber solenoid they come with the .60 jet and the Empi doesn't come with one or a O ring. As the same when buying the 32/36 Weber..Now I have a .40 jet that I will never use.40 is stamped on it.Anyone need it.

Original Specs Weber 32/36 DGEV /AV

Primary Main Jet 140 Primary Emulsion Tube F50
Secondary Main Jet 140 Secondary Emulsion Tube F50
Primary Air Corrector  Jet 170 Primary Venturi 26mm
Secondary Air Corrector Jet 160 Secondary Venturi 27mm
Primary Idle Jet 060 Primary Aux Venturi 3.50mm
Secondary Idle Jet 050 Secondary Aux Venturi 3.50mm
Pump Jet 050 Needle Valve 2.00mm
Edited by Thomas Perkins

I guess jets don't go bad.There are 2 sizes,small and large,the small goes on the secondary idle side,the jet holder on that size is 6 mm and the primary idle holder or the solenoid is 8 mm,which means the O rings  are different sizes too.I was thinking just one size goes to the solenoid.From the look's of the jets you can tell by which is large and small. The large jet is on the top.That is what goes on the solenoid and the primary idle side.

74409.jpg

1587.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins