85 Kc 4x4 auto locking hubs

BADDRINNON

Ive recently decided to revive my 85 4x4 720 as it has sat too long and i really enjoyed the little time i got to drive it. Im very new to this site and to 720s and ive read several posts on replacing these hubs with manual ones but cant ever seem to find the end of the story. I know pickings are slim for these trucks aftermarket and theres really none in my area to pick parts from. I read where a member said he bought rugged ridge 444 hubs and they fit but i can only find 2 26 spline hubs and one says for toyota and one for geo/suzuki? can anyone tell me which hubs i can buy online that will work and any other parts i may need to get the job done? Im sure ill ask too many questions and my knowledge of this truck is slim to none but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, personally I would say your best bet is to find a set off an 1983+ truck. The hubs can be found you just have to look. I just sold a set for $50 and about $10 to ship them. There are a few things to note. You not only need the hubs but the locking plate that goes with them and snap ring that holds the locking plate to the cv axle. The cv axles on your truck should have a notch on them if factory axles, my 86 720 did (never checked to see if aftermarket axles did). Hubs are different between 1980-82 and 1983-86. I have another set I'm honestly saving but if I run across any more I'll start picking them up. They're very easy to remove and install. The hubs on my 82 720 are held in by torx bit bolts while the 83+ have been held in by Allen head bolts. 20191105-113744.jpgThis photo show the differences between the 82 and 83+ hubs20191105-113204.jpg20191105-113754.jpg20191030-105045.jpg

Picture below are of an 82 720 hub setup20191105-112631.jpg20191105-112647.jpg20191105-112816.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds good! Along with snap ring pliers and a set of Allen wrenches, I'd take a set of torx wrenches if you have them (use if an Allen head strips) and also a set of pliers to remove the locking plate some times they're not the easiest to pull of the cv axle