Front end rebuild 77 620 Ball joint removal trick

abbylind

Since I had the 77 up on blocks for the drive shaft differential seal problem I decided to rebuild the tie rods, center link and idler arm. The old stuff was pretty worn and sloppy. I wandered down the road like a .20 drunk, without drinking! The first part was removing the old parts. The tie rod ends came off pretty easy using a pickle fork and a large hammer. The center link and drivers tie rod removal from the steering link was a different story....After using the pickle fork and a gear removal tool...no joy....I rented a ball joint removal tools (2)...still no joy! I finally pulled the steering link with the center link and tie rod attached. the idler arm came off by removing the two attaching bolts. The grease on these ball joints had turned to a thick hard tar material. I tried using the pickle fork again with the tie rod on the steering arm...still no good. I saw a trick on youtube where you strike two hammers on either side of the ball joint and it breaks loose. You must strike at the same time with equal blows. So here goes...a couple of hits and pop! the ball joint comes off! Coulda fooled me! Im a believer now. The center link came loose when I clamped the steering arm in my vise and used the pickle fork. 2 hits and it popped out!

Heres the youtube vid on the 2 hammer trick

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the old center link as a guide for the length. I then remeasured using the specs from the manual. IIRC it was 20.31" across

Then I tightened the nuts. A quick look appears the front wheels look like they are straight ahead...alignment will tell for sure.

One thing I can remind ratsunners is to mark the steering link before you remove it from the spindle. This will ensure that it is in the same position on installation.