z22 dizzy pedestal

82turbo720

Hey guys bought a new dizzy for my z22 but when i switched the pedestal over i think i may have installed it incorrectly anyone have a picture of where the vac advance points when its installed in the engine getting a slight puff from the carb like my timings off i suspect the pedestal. Merry Christmas all!

datsun007.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST

Set engine to TDC compression stroke #1.

Take distributor cap off and see where the intake side rotor is pointing to on the cap above it.

Should be the #1 plug wire at about 9:00 (towards the rad) as viewed from the driver's side fender looking down.

As long as it is close to #1, set the timing with a light.

SECOND

If near #1 wire* but not within adjustment range....

Remove distributor and note position of the drive spindle below it.

Loosen remove oil pump bolts and drop oil pump out. Expect a tablespoon of oil to drip out and keep pump level.

The oil pump/distributor drive spindle needs to be pulled down and out and rotated one tooth.

This will advance or retard the distributor above it.

If you need to advance the distributor (turn it more clockwise) then move the spindle counter-clockwise viewed from below, one tooth.

If you need to retard the distributor (turn it more counter-clockwise) then move the spindle clockwise viewed from below, one tooth.

Confirm direction by comparing the before and after positions of the spindle at the distributor end.

One tooth will move the distributor about 18 degrees + or - and should get you within the adjustment range.

All in all, you want to get the rotor under any plug wire even if it's half way around the distributor cap. This one, then becomes your new #1 plug wire and the others get moved around IT in counter clockwise direction 1, 3, 4, 2.

* if  under any other plug wire. This becomes your new #1 plug wire and the others get moved around IT in counter clockwise direction 1, 3, 4, 2.

Why are you not running dual plugs???? You should  on a turbo engine. Z22 heads were all dual plug design. Single plug will require much more advance of the timing, 10-12 degrees (not a good thing on a turbo engine) Dual plugs run about 3-5 degrees and much less time for detonation to occur.

I am running dual plugs motor is much more together then in this picture i was just doing my initial start up on 4 to make sure everything was ok! Thanks alot mike I positioned the shaft at the 11:25 position like you previously stated on the rotor there is 2 points which is the intake side of the rotor my only problem was that little puff from the carb almost like you see when there 180 out but it runs! just not much for throttle response an pretty boggy under revs!

Well at 180 degrees, too advanced and too retarded at the same time.  Has to be near the top of the compression stroke.

Four stroke engine...

Intake

Compression............... Spark should be here at First crank revolution completed (two strokes at 180 cam degrees)

Power

Exhaust........................ Spark here instead at Second crank revolution (forth stroke, at 360 degrees, one complete cycle of ignition and cam events) 

Intake

Compression...............  Spark should be here at Third revolution completed (two strokes at 180 cam degrees)

Power

Exhaust........................ Spark here instead at Forth revolution (forth stroke, at 360 degrees, second complete cycle of ignition and cam events)

Intake

Compression............... Spark should be here at Fifth revolution completed (two strokes at 180 cam degrees)

Power

Exhaust........................ Spark here instead at Sixth revolution (forth stroke, at 360 degrees, third complete cycle of ignition and cam events)

Intake

Compression............... Spark should be here at Seventh revolution completed (two strokes at 180 cam degrees)

Power

Exhaust........................ Spark here instead at Eighth revolution (forth stroke, at 360 degrees, forth complete cycle of ignition and cam events)