a15 head

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its got push rods and is an over head valve engine. Just put it to TDC, loosen up the adjusters, pull the push rods out, and unbolt the head. Make sure you get the bracket that connects to the intake/exhaist manifold from the engine mount. I know A14 from a 79 210 has it and it can be one hell of a troll. The cam is in the block as is the timing chain. Hardest part is getting all the emission stuff hooked back up, at least it was for me. And why are you pulling the head off?

My car has started sto smoke really really bad when I take my oil filler cap off and just receantly it has started to smoke out of the tail pipe really bad. So I want to take the head off replase intake exhaust and head gaskets im buying all new head parts valves. Push rods seals the whole 9. I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt affect the timing. I know I have to adjust the valves when everything is back on and when I take the rocker part off will the push rods come right out?

They will just slide right out once nothing is on top of them. That should fix the smoking as long as its not your rings that are bad. If you got the money for it and are doing all that anyways id rebuild the bottom end too. Lot more peace of mind and you wont have to do it later on. Have you done a compression test? And did you do it after adjusting the valves? Also a wet comp test?

Its a good idea. If you get low numbers it could mean the rings are bad abd thats why its smoking. Would suck to rebuild that head and it still smoke cause of the rings. Warm it up all they way then do a comp test on all four. If the numbers are still low put a some oil in thru the spark plug hole and test again. If it goes up then its probably the rings. A leakdown test will also probably help you. You can go down to a parts store and borrow the tools to test it if you dont have them or dont want to buy them. They just charge you a deposit in case you dont bring it back.