Needed seat upgrade

hwygod

Heya,

I am to the point where I need to replace the seats in the dime.  Here is where I need a bit of help.  What I pulled out, as far as brackets, is not what I remember from back in the day as OE.  I have aluminum blocks, 2-3 inches high holding the seats off the floor.  I remember, back in 1980 and my first 510, there being some sort of spot welded mountings??  

Can someone confirm I am missing those mountings?  What are your suggestions for my next seat/mounting?  I plan to try and strengthen what I have and use them again.  If someone has done something different I would love to hear your tale, see some pictures, and problems encountered.....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I can't figure out how to paste a pic here.  Basically, the body mounds were cut out and replaced with four alum. blocks, bolted through the floor and the tracks bolted to it.  i am just interested in what other people are doing if not using the old mounts.

Gotcha, I know there are a few of us not using the factory mounting points in an effort to gain additional head room that the would otherwise be lost to the air gap under the factory seat but I'm not one of them. I will say that the bulky, sheet metal member that crosses the cab (this would normally be the front most mounting points of the seat) is structural and should not be removed. If you must, make a plan to replace the structure that it provides through a new, low profile cross member or by other means.

I did remove the cross brace, but added two new ones that the seat rails bolt on to. 

IMG_0110.jpg

The smooth section to the right of the new frame is where that crossbar used to be. I'm 6'5" and need the seats to be about 3 inches further back than farthest stock position and needed another couple inches to get a helmet on while in the car.