620 Rear Axle Grease Catcher/Gasket

I just picked up a 72 Datsun 620 L16. It needed new rear bearings. Went to replace those and realized I needed more than just bearings. I am in need of the rear axle grease catcher and the grease catcher gasket. Which are numbers 9/10 in the following link diagram.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun620/Datsun620Index/Axle/RearAxle/tabid/2492/Default.aspx

My questions are, if anyone knows:

1: are there other part numbers besides the OEM ones provided in link?

2: is there a good source for locating these parts online?

3: are the rear axles the same in some 720 models?

I live on an Island so resources are limited. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43216-B9500 (superseded) Grease Catcher ($15) and 43217-B5000 Grease Catcher Gasket ($5) are also used on the 720 truck with the H-90 rear end.

Order from Nissan dealer. Don't be surprised if they are too lazy and say it's NLA no longer available. Best to go in person, it's harder to say it to someone's face. You may have to push a bit, depends on the parts counter guy, some are really helpful. Ask if they can ask other Nissan dealers if they might have on in their inventory that didn't get used.

Otherwise go down to your local NAPA, Hartman's, Lordco or  maybe Crappy Tire. Take these part numbers and have them cross referenced to another supplier.

Where on the island are you?

• Like 1

I spent all day doing just that. Nissan said the numbers don't exist so they don't carry anymore. Even went as far to say they don't carry anything older than 1985 (which I know is bull). I have been in contact with 3 different Lordco locations. I'll try the others you suggested and keep pressing Nissan and Lordco.

I am near Victoria. How about you?!

Thanks for replying. It's frustrating. People don't want to help because it's 42 years old and too much work. I'm not giving up though!! Haha

BS, the numbers exist, they just can't be bothered. It may be out of stock though, and if so they should say so. Try asking for those parts but without the numbers... say it's an '85 2wd 720 truck. This is the latest year used. Technically there was a half year '86 720.

You could pull an axle from any 620 or 720 and remove the catcher and seal. You could probably make a gasket for it. The axle from any 620 through '77 will fit your earlier truck if you can find one..

I don't like Lordco expen$ive. NAPA are good. HRH on here runs a NAPA store, maybe get him to look it up for you.

Comox Valley.

Awesome, thanks for all the good info and help!!

Finding another 620 is next to impossible down here, in fact I've yet to see one besides my own and 720's hold their value.

Ya Lordco can be pricey. Between my discount and a friend who works there, I normally get close to cost.