A14 piston differences

josh_t

I'm trying to find out what  the difference in the dish is between a regular 77 A14 piston and a 77 FU piston is. Pictures would be nice so i can better I.D. them using my inspection camera in a plug hole. Are the regular 77's the same as a regular 76 piston?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the bottom end appears original on mine but someone put a FU head and intake on it. Its an 80hp auto sedan 4 door with a 728 head. I know that wouldnt be a factory combo. The exhaust looks like normal a14 stuff. Would you have any estimate on a CR with the head/piston combo i have? I'll settle with not knowing if it comes down to me pulling the head just to cc everything.

I am scratching my head on this one, per the pic ggzilla posted I would have to believe your compression would be much higher with the head piston combo that you have.

The FU head appears to have a much smaller combustion area and the piston you are running isn't compensating for that smaller area by being dished.

Does your car tend to "ping" under load? Is the timimg advanced to compensate for the higher compression ratio? I guess one more question would be, does the FU head have big enough valves to make use of the higher compression?

As far as the exact compression ratio, I would have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update, guys. I looked in my cylinders with my camera, and i saw almost flat top pistons. Lets reference the above picture. Put the head on the left with the pistons on the right. It does ping some under load (above half throttle, unknown static timing) but I'm also running on the 6yo gas that was in it when i got it. It's orange. I'm sure that's real high octane. 0_o JK It has compression specs like this: 1-170 2-175 3-180 4-180. That's operating temp, WOT. It does need a valve adjustment so i'm sure those are closer together after that. It idles very smoothly with relatively snappy throttle response off-idle (even with the mismatched intake manifold).